Canon EOS 70D External Mic Question

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Been trying to use my Canon EOS 70D for video. Bought an external Trakstar SGC-598 mic for vlogging type videos. There's an issue however. When I make certain motions or walk up stairs, you could hear a type of clunking sound that is the mic for sure. Mic is tightly secured as well. It's pretty faint but I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone else have this issue?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Please watch
Does your unit perform as in the video or is the clunking sound only with yours? Try to find other examples of how the mic is supposed to perform, and quickly. If there is obviously excessive/odd noises your unit is defective and you should return it if possible. Otherwise, it is inherent in all those particular units.

Addendum: I notice in that video the unit is extremely sensitive to low frequencies. Hyper amplifying them well outside a proper DB envelope. Reproduced on my spectrum analyzer (crude and primitive but ballpark) that video test is all about low frequencies. Needs EQ.

To test a microphone go to any of many web sites that put out sound spectrum at a fixed DB level. (Like for hearing tests). Record it with the mic then play it back through a player that has a spectrum analyzer. I used Potplayer. Playback ideally should be level and colorless.
https://daumpotplayer.com/

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
When its stationary everything is fine, it's only certain sudden movements when the sound occurs.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Ratmosphere Sudden movement booms or pops can be caused by compression of the air as objects or the mic moves - called self noise. Especially so with cheaper shotguns that have no level control.
Shotgun mics - super cardioid, can be a royal pain in the arse. They are generally shunned in all mobile applications unless you get well over $1000 that have noise cancelling and other features and even then are problematic.
You might want to read this: https://www.cinema5d.com/put-away-the-shotgun-microphone-and-what-to-use-instead/