Cannot hatch lateralis eggs

Yobel

Arachnopeon
It's been 3 weeks since the day I found an ootheca and still no nymphs to be found anywhere else. What could be wrong? I put them on a damp cocopeat with some wet sphagnum moss around it on a small container. The person that I bought the colony told me I would just seperate the eggs from the colony and put it on an empty container with lots of air holes for ventilation and that's it. If I did this the eggs will dry out and look shriveled. Please any suggestion from your experiences. Anything would be helpful. Thanks guys

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Is the ootheca fertile? Sometimes roaches will just drop infertile or underdeveloped oothecas if they get too stressed. What temperature is the container? Higher temperatures should make the egg cases hatch a bit faster, otherwise your temperature might be a bit on the cooler side (though the Philippines should be quite warm anyway).

Yobel

Arachnopeon
Yes it is fertile and the oothecas looks good when I collect it. I don't know what's the exact temperature but I'm in a tropical country and your right -Philippines. How will I incubate these eggs? Btw thank you for the comment :) I also spray the sides of the container with water

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My experience is that they take longer than just three weeks to hatch. They hatched after about a month in the low 80s. You have to make sure they stay pretty humid or else they will dessicate before hatching.

Yobel

Arachnopeon
Can you guys show me your setup for incubating the oothecas? or you can just tell me how you keep them and what things you put with for them to hatch. Thank you!

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I don't raise B. lateralis. I myself have gotten this information from others and combining it with general knowledge I came up with my inference. If you aren't finding your answer here exactly, there are plenty of other threads that talk about this same topic on the site. I do raise other species of roaches, just not B. lateralis because the event where they might escape. I agree with @Ranitomeya that the ootheca may just need some more time because 3 weeks is just about the minimum time it takes for the ooths to hatch. I've heard they can take a few months before producing any results.

For incubation, I would use a coco peat and vermiculite mix (vermiculite can be found in gardening stores) and put the substrate into a deli container. Have some kind of cover that will not allow escape and poke small holes into the lid. You are lucky in that you have optimal temperatures to incubate, so you can just leave the container out at room temperature (no direct sunlight). You should spray very occasionally with water, making sure that the droplets do not stay on the sides for over an hour. Spray only a little because too much will invite mold onto the ooth.

Hope this helps!

Yobel

Arachnopeon
:wideyed:
I don't raise B. lateralis. I myself have gotten this information from others and combining it with general knowledge I came up with my inference. If you aren't finding your answer here exactly, there are plenty of other threads that talk about this same topic on the site. I do raise other species of roaches, just not B. lateralis because the event where they might escape. I agree with @Ranitomeya that the ootheca may just need some more time because 3 weeks is just about the minimum time it takes for the ooths to hatch. I've heard they can take a few months before producing any results.

For incubation, I would use a coco peat and vermiculite mix (vermiculite can be found in gardening stores) and put the substrate into a deli container. Have some kind of cover that will not allow escape and poke small holes into the lid. You are lucky in that you have optimal temperatures to incubate, so you can just leave the container out at room temperature (no direct sunlight). You should spray very occasionally with water, making sure that the droplets do not stay on the sides for over an hour. Spray only a little because too much will invite mold onto the ooth.

Hope this helps!
Wow! This really helps:)I guess I need a little more time for them to hatch cause I've become so impatient to them lol. Thank you for all these tips and I will do more research about this kind of issue on this site. I have one more question what if when I spray the sides of the container and the droplets hit the eggs accidentally what would be the cause to the ooths? Thank you so much everyone :D

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should avoid wetting the ootheca directly through spraying. Just place them on damp substrate. Too wet and they will die and grow mold.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Honestly I'd just keep the roaches themselves on a humid substrate, that way you would not have to separate the oothecae for hatching, as long as the roaches are well fed they shouldn't cannibalize the oothecae.