Cannibalistic Emps?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So an emp at a local petstore gave birth, I was checking in after 2 weeks and the guys there said she ate them. I was surprised, aren't emps suposed to be good parents? The guys just looked at me like "well your the expert." Acctually I'm not cause I've yet to have a scorp, but I knew enough to tell them to get the dang emps outta the desert, which they didn't. Could this be why the mom decided to have a snack? I know that if scorps are disturbed this can happen but her tank was turned around and covered over. What do you think happend? ~ Rex

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most likely she got stressed. especially in a pet store where everyone is walking around them. What they should have done was put her in the dark by herself until they left her back.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the conditions were desert like, most definitely that would cause stress too and cannibalizations would occur.

Everything I read is to up the temps and humidity when you have young ones.

Thaedion

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the conditions were desert like, most definitely that would cause stress too and cannibalizations would occur.

Everything I read is to up the temps and humidity when you have young ones.

Thaedion
do you think it is like that with every genus and so forth. even like extremely desert species?

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to go with everyone else on this one.. i'm sure that she was over stressed and thus consumed them. your spossed to cover her and leave her alone while she has babies, but in a pet store they would give her no such speical attention.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea id say stress from the conditions also

it still amazes me that people who run pet stores do not know how to keep and take care of what they sell, and sometimes are so far off what it should be.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
do you think it is like that with every genus and so forth. even like extremely desert species?
I can only assume that if you put an animal in an environment diametrically opposite from there optimal conditions that they'll be majorly stressed... IMHO :p

Thaedion / Michael

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i agree.. the only pet store that i have ever seen do anything right was this petco near my house. on each of the tanks of the animals, it says where they are from, and the conditions they like. it surprised me when i saw it

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can only assume that if you put an animal in an environment diametrically opposite from there optimal conditions that they'll be majorly stressed... IMHO :p

Thaedion / Michael
i mean as far as humidity and temps... like would you want to add more humidity to say a v. spinigerus when they are born?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i mean as far as humidity and temps... like would you want to add more humidity to say a v. spinigerus when they are born?
I'm not at all sure on that answer. I only read about P imp babies that to increase temps and humidity to make moults go better.

Michael

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
temps were probably ok but im sure humidity in a desert enclosure were direct opp. of what they needed to be. I believe people keep v. spinigerus's more humid when their first born but after isnt needed after I2. Once they(v. spinigerus) reach I2 they just need a little mist once a week on one half of the enclosure, they get the rest from their food.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
got ya....just trying to get in the know, before i have my first brood, whenever that may be...haha

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
got ya....just trying to get in the know, before i have my first brood, whenever that may be...haha
there fun little scorps, and i mean little haha. They act like their 10ft tall its pretty funny..

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poor conditions = a higher likelihood of death.
My take is why waste time rasing a brood that will most likely perish, especially when your starving from all the energy used during partuation, using them for chow seems like a good idea.

That's happens a lot though with many species.
You'd probaly be more surprised to know the spermataphore is consumed by a lot of buthids. ;)

nuclear_zombies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've taken steps to ensure my little batch of scorplings are comfortable as far as their physical conditions, but sometimes it happens. Example: There were 11 scorplings, with plenty of food. They ate the smallest scorpling, I know this because there were little bits left behind. I know it wasnt the parents, they live in a different tank. I've heard about the mother eating the young when stressed, but eaten by your brothers/sisters !? I decided to separate the scorplings into 2 groups- the four largest, in their 4I, whom I call the Four Horseman. They're very feisty little buggers and kept eating all of the crix, so I moved them into their own home. The remaining four now get a chance to eat without competition, as 3 of them are late in the 3I, one is in the fourth but very small. It's sooooooooooo neat watching scorpions eat{D