Canned “Zebra Tarantula” on Amazon

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all! Ok, so I happen to notice that Amazon has canned “Zebra Tarantula” that you can buy for a few bucks if you’ve ever wanted to eat a tarantula. Now, me personally... if I were to ever visit Cambodia I would absolutely eat a tarantula as it’s freshly prepared by the natives. Only because I’ve always been curious as I’ve never eaten one.

However, I don’t think I would ever buy one from Amazon and chow it down because I guess you never know how it was actually prepared or been inside the can. Has anyone ever actually eaten a canned one off Amazon? There’s a bunch of YouTube videos of people trying it but I’m curious if anyone here has actually eaten a canned one.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Ah son it's about like beans. You might as well crack it open and go to town. It would be nice to take camping : )

Phoenix G

Arachnopeon
So you can eat old world tarantulas because they don't have urticating hairs, right? Man I was looking at unfortunate image results while considering new species to acquire and couldn't even imagine trying to eat a tarantula. Especially with how much I care for them. It would be like trying to eat dog, even if the dog was unsocialized with people and bred for meat consumption. When your mind is always on trying to give them the best care and best life, biting INTO them seems surreal and alien.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ready to place my order until I read it said "Boiled and Dehydrated not Fried."
If I eat tarantula -- I want it fried -- gimme some grease. And some salt/pepper.

Seriously, while Andrea is right about not supporting such an industry, it would have been a cool novelty item... but not at $25 bucks a can.
Figured I could place the can next to naughty T enclosures... yannoe, to show them what I'm capable of! "Go ahead, flip that water dish one more time!" :troll:

Hey, Amazon also sells a box with a chocolate coated T: https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Crawlers...rds=tarantula&qid=1562911781&s=grocery&sr=1-5

Last edited:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
So you can eat old world tarantulas because they don't have urticating hairs, right? Man I was looking at unfortunate image results while considering new species to acquire and couldn't even imagine trying to eat a tarantula. Especially with how much I care for them. It would be like trying to eat dog, even if the dog was unsocialized with people and bred for meat consumption. When your mind is always on trying to give them the best care and best life, biting INTO them seems surreal and alien.
When a man gets hungry enough he will eat anything......trust me... :D but really Iv ate about anything you can name around here but dog isn't one of those things. :) and I'm with that one dude I'd throw some salt and pepper to her and say num num.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
You can eat ones with urticating hairs too, just need to burn hairs first.

Overcollecting ts for food is serious enviromental issue.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Okay guys -- fess up! I found this link to a slightly cheaper tin of "salted dehydrated tarantula:" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C0R1TU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were 5 cans for sale... now there is *1* left. C'mon - some of you guys must have ordered this! 4 cans sold in under an hour??? How much demand was there for this product before this thread? rofl

[Okay, I could be wrong and it really is a popular food item.... :yuck:]

Last edited:

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe the hairs are removed through the boiling process. But also as someone mentioned, I think I prefer fried. After all, that’s how it’s prepared in Cambodia.

Last edited:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Pretty Sure the "zebra tarantula" is A. Semanni New World

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Real question is, has anyone eaten crickets?? Of course, I’ve never prepared and eaten then myself but I’ve had them fried with chili and lime out in AZ and also sait and vinegar dried ones. Just take the legs off and they aren’t bad at all lmao

(Not joking :D)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Real question is, has anyone eaten crickets?? Of course, I’ve never prepared and eaten then myself but I’ve had them fried with chili and lime out in AZ and also sait and vinegar dried ones. Just take the legs off and they aren’t bad at all lmao

You’re making me hungry! Ha!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I actually ate fried and dried crickets and mealworms last weekend. My local grocery store had them as a part of the 'super food' deals and I brought some with me on my Scout's camping trip as a sort of dare both for me and them. I didn't like the mealworms much, but the crickets were okay. Mealworms tasted like they smell when you need to clean out the bin they're in :spitoutdummy:, even though they were coated in garlic and herbs. The crickets tasted like barbecue flavoured peanuts.
I don't think I would eat it regularly if I don't have to, but it wasn't a bad experience overall. 6 out of my nine scouts ate them too, very proud of them!
Pretty Sure the "zebra tarantula" is A. Semanni New World
Euhm, no. OP's tarantulas come from Cambodia, there are no A.seemanni there :rofl:

Re:collecting for food
I understand the collecting for food for people who have close to nothing else to eat. But someone better be breeding these canned spiders for exporting it to the West instead of collecting them from the wild... I would want to be 100% sure of that before I would even consider buying a canned tarantula. If I would ever consider that, that is. I don't eat pets.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
In case of zombies, all our pets have a hierarchy. But I won't bite the dogs unless they bite me first. They're so spoiled they'll probably come after me the third day of not getting marshmallows in the morning.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Amazon is the ultimate sewer. It's beyond me the fact that Bezos, that ugly bald man, managed to become a gigamultimillionaire liberal-friendly/etc but oh yes, oh yes, nowadays seems that slavery 2.0 and lazyness (as if only Amazon can offer that something) are great.

They (Amazon) even had (legit) weapons for sale (as in the UK), no matter the legit UK laws about weapons. Still, nothing.

Mah, I say :)

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I actually ate fried and dried crickets and mealworms last weekend. My local grocery store had them as a part of the 'super food' deals and I brought some with me on my Scout's camping trip as a sort of dare both for me and them. I didn't like the mealworms much, but the crickets were okay. Mealworms tasted like they smell when you need to clean out the bin they're in :spitoutdummy:, even though they were coated in garlic and herbs. The crickets tasted like barbecue flavoured peanuts.
I don't think I would eat it regularly if I don't have to, but it wasn't a bad experience overall. 6 out of my nine scouts ate them too, very proud of them!

Euhm, no. OP's tarantulas come from Cambodia, there are no A.seemanni there :rofl:

Re:collecting for food
I understand the collecting for food for people who have close to nothing else to eat. But someone better be breeding these canned spiders for exporting it to the West instead of collecting them from the wild... I would want to be 100% sure of that before I would even consider buying a canned tarantula. If I would ever consider that, that is. I don't eat pets.
It does suck to think about breeding something just to eat. But here deep in the woods of wrong turn Kentucky that's kinda how you survive : ) for the people who don't leave the hollers to go-to town that is :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It does suck to think about breeding something just to eat. But here deep in the woods of wrong turn Kentucky that's kinda how you survive : ) for the people who don't leave the hollers to go-to town that is :)
I rather breed something to eat than diminish or exterminate a wild population ;)