cannabis leaves

spasskgirl

Arachnopeon
Hello.
What’s the opinion on mixing marijuana leaves with the millipede substrate?
dangerous / neither dangerous nor beneficial / a good choice?

thanks for any contribution!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Probably fine. I don’t think insects have thc receptors like humans. But I could be wrong.

spasskgirl

Arachnopeon
This is cannabis plant leaves I am talking about, not the buds. :D Assuming they were dry for a while.
Would it be bad because if it died on the plant it was probably because it ran out of nutrients not because it's a deciduous tree?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
This is cannabis plant leaves I am talking about, not the buds. :D Assuming they were dry for a while.
Would it be bad because if it died on the plant it was probably because it ran out of nutrients not because it's a deciduous tree?
Im aware it’s the leaves, but I’m pretty sure the leaves still contain trace amounts of thc. Insects kinda know what they will and won’t eat. So probably wouldn’t hurt them. But then again I’ve personally never tried this, so I can’t be certain.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
People tend to have trouble with insects munching the plant, which suggests it's not a natural pesticide (but is not a guarantee). However, I suspect the leaves will be quick to rot down, which doesn't make them very useful in the substrate.

Fast rotting leaves can be fed as extra food though. I've offered hay before and that's a lot cheaper than cannabis.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Im aware it’s the leaves, but I’m pretty sure the leaves still contain trace amounts of thc. Insects kinda know what they will and won’t eat. So probably wouldn’t hurt them. But then again I’ve personally never tried this, so I can’t be certain.
There have been reports of millipedes eating certain plants and then keeling over dead, so while they can avoid some toxic stuff it's not a fail-safe thing to rely on.

I agree with @Polenth, they'd probably rot quickly, and since cannabis isn't a deciduous hardwood the oils could potentially harm them. Why would you want to offer it to them anyways?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

spasskgirl

Arachnopeon
May I ask why you specifically would like to use cannabis leaves?
the person who asked me this lives in a place where every tree is sprayed with anti-bug spray but they have abundance of cannabis leaves and are considering getting millipedes.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
pesticide? May I ask what makes it that? If not I take it you’re just calling it toxic to the millipedes evenno pesticides were actually used
His post was a link to a study that tested cannabis as a pesticide.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
pesticide? May I ask what makes it that? If not I take it you’re just calling it toxic to the millipedes evenno pesticides were actually used
The gist is they had some success with the live plant and dried leaves either repelling or reducing populations of some invertebrates. They weren't looking at millipedes, so maybe the leaves would be a problem and maybe they wouldn't. They had enough success to be cautious.

Either way, this is a bit irrelevant in the sense that your friend can't feed them on one food item alone and they're not a replacement for tree leaves. It's possible to buy appropriate leaves, so suggest that as an option.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I again agree with @Polenth. You can buy the appropriate leaves without much trouble, using cannabis seems to only be inviting trouble.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Yo have you guys like... noticed we're called millipedes... but like don't have 1000 feet?

Woah man... Woah.