Candles and tarantulas, and Avicularia identification.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
So, are scented candles okay to have around our Ts, or should they just be avoided? Also, even though not all avics were covered in the revision, is it possible to correctly identify a pet store avic?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Some scented candles are ok. Stay clear ones with warnings for "aquatic pets". I would make sure the room is well ventrilated and it isnt burning right next to the Ts. Mine have been ok.

We burn incense and scented candles quite regularly. Because of our dogs mostly aha.

As for ID on Avic from petstore I would say near impossible, especially if just looking at the specimen.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would not trust any sort of candles or scent producing objects (wax heaters, incense, or even hair dryers since they can produce harmful vapors) anywhere in or around my inverts. Why take the risk when you don't know how scented things can affect them. Odds are they'll be fine but they can be many times mroe sensitive to some chemicals than we are.

It's not likely to identify a petstore avic unless it's
a) a distinctive species like versicolor or
b) they got it specifically from a breeder and actually know the species. I know a few Mom and pop shops do this. Even then I'd be weary though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id say some members can give you a really good idea. id say no on the scented candles.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would not trust any candles around my invertebrates. I also do not trust them around my birds or anything else that I own. Honestly, I don't even trust them around people.

I also don't trust air fresheners like those tree-shaped ones you hang off of your rear-view mirror.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is it possible to correctly identify a pet store avic?
It depends on what they have hah. Generally it's not advisable, because how will you ID it, comparison to other pictures...BAD idea. There's only a very small number of adult Avics that can be ID'd by sight (because they are so distinctive looking) compared to the many phenotypes that exist. There's even a SMALLER number that may be ID'd correctly as sling by sight (I can think of 2 off the top of my head).

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I put those jelly air fresheners in my tarantula room. I wouldn't trust anything getting spayed in the air

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
This may be blasphemy for some, but I burn scented candles and incense -- not all the time. My Ts haven't even blinked. I mean if they could blink.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! Just reading this conversation, Was about to buy some incense or similar natural to have in my room which is the same where my ts are... you reckon is not a good idea? I will not burn them next to my T but in the other side of the room... Any advice ?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Hi guys! Just reading this conversation, Was about to buy some incense or similar natural to have in my room which is the same where my ts are... you reckon is not a good idea? I will not burn them next to my T but in the other side of the room... Any advice ?
I burn incense on a regular basis, but only on the other end of the house with the door to the T room closed. I would not burn anything in the same room you keep your T's. I'd suggest getting something that absorbs odors rather than masks them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:rolleyes:
I will not burn them next to my T but in the other side of the room... Any advice ?
You can’t be serious with the above.....

What you described is like having a peeing section in a pool!! :banghead:

Maybe the laws of physics operate differently in your room.:rolleyes:

Anyone that tells you “I do this, no issues” has gotten lucky.

Their incense is likely not the same as yours, thus different ingredients.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO every kind of smoke (from kitchen one, to cigarettes etc) and T's doesn't mix :)

I'm an hardcore cigarettes (Marlboro Red) freak, but never near my inverts :angelic:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I use scented candles when I have a bath. It keeps them away from my animals and it's a nice time to use them anyway.

In theory, you could research all the ingredients and work out if a particular product was safe. The problem is the information might not exist for every ingredient and this takes a lot of time. Which is why most people just find another place to burn incense/candles.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Most incense is made up of natural insecticide, my family uses it religiously, but I tell them only on the other side and lower level of the house.