Candle lighting T question

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does the candle lighting method work with just pokies or does it work for other T's as well? My female A.sp. Peru purple was sold possibly gravid and was wondering if it would work? Thanks ahead for any replies, I'm horrible with the sites search function. :eek:

-Tim

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Does the candle lighting method work with just pokies or does it work for other T's as well? My female A.sp. Peru purple was sold possibly gravid and was wondering if it would work? Thanks ahead for any replies, I'm horrible with the sites search function. :eek:

-Tim
LOL, I personally have no idea what your even talking about :? {D

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you can see the eggs in a female abdomen when held next to a candle light.

I could be wrong. I think that's what's being referred to.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, I personally have no idea what your even talking about :? {D
"Candling" a tarantulas abdomen is a method to see if a tarantula is gravid or not. You take an LCD light, hold it up to the abdomen and if it glows yellow than the lady is full o' eggs.

Tim,

I've seen it done with Avics, I'd give it a try, it should work.

Cass

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Wow, thats really neat! Ive never bred, so I guess I wouldnt know..lol Thanks guys. I guess ya learn something new every day!

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Cass, I wasn't sure since the Avic as such thick hairs compaired to my P.pederseni.

-Tim

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes candling does work with avics.. I used that method on both of my A. avics.. Both dropped a nice sac.. One is still with the momma..

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here is a pic of my P. ornata I candle lighted:

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
robc, do you also have a pic where you tried this on a non-pregnant T? I would be curious to see the difference.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
robc, do you also have a pic where you tried this on a non-pregnant T? I would be curious to see the difference.
That I don't but Ryan nefecy (talkenlate04) has a video of it and it shows it perfectly!

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for bumping this thread (it's not over a year.... ;) ) but I saw it refrenced in a more recent thread and was going to ask a question simlar.

I tried this with a normal flashlight... so...

1. does it NEED to be an LCD?

2. Do I need to turn off all other lights first?

3. Do I need to be THAT close to the T? (I can get within a few inchs but not sure about right THERE - depends on where the T is.)

Thanks.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1. does it NEED to be an LCD?

2. Do I need to turn off all other lights first?

3. Do I need to be THAT close to the T? (I can get within a few inchs but not sure about right THERE - depends on where the T is.)

Thanks.
1. Yes, it does need to be an LED light.
2. For most specimens, you won't be able to view it correctly unless it's dark (IME, some require a higher degree of darkness than others)
3. Yes, you need to be pretty close in order to provide the optimal lighting/view. This is why I have been unable to do this with a couple of my females...there is no way for me to get that close without seriously disturbing them, and I would never do that to a female that I'm hoping to get a sac from.

Also, I've never had any luck with doing this on the more 'furry' species. Hope this helped a bit :)