can you sex you scorpions

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was wonder ing if you can sex young scorpions and when i say young i mean like 1-3 instar :?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
No, the sexual characteristics come later, usually at 6th-9th instar, if it takes the particular scorpion that long to reach maturity. Others' advice might be similar or differ.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That depends on the species. Grosphus, Uroplectes and Androctonus species, i.e., can be sexed easily at instar 3, but the sexing of young scorpions is in general difficult (at the least) for laymen...You could compare, if you have multiple specimens and a microscope, the genital operculi.
So the question to your answer is yes, but I you have no experience, literature and a microscope, the answer is no.

afs rock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the species i am gettting is Heterometrus petersii the reason i am wonering is that i will be recieving two from Tarantula, Inc. and i asked for 1 male 1 female because i intend to breed them later on and also thank you for the replies

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the species i am gettting is Heterometrus petersii the reason i am wonering is that i will be recieving two from Tarantula, Inc. and i asked for 1 male 1 female because i intend to breed them later on and also thank you for the replies
So the question should be "Can Tarantula Inc. sex there young Heterometrus" or am I wrong?

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the way you sex the sp is by pectinal tooth count, its possible to sex at 3-4i if you can keep the pectin intact.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He just wants to know if it's possible to do it and then he wants to ask tarantulainc to do it--he's just taking an extra step.