Can you safely put one enclosure in another?

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, this is what I am thinking....I have my H. Mac in a 2.5 gallon tank that has a lock. He only uses about 1/3 of the space. I am now getting a small OBT that I am putting into a much smaller enclosure that is not secure. So my brilliant idea is to set the small OBT enclosure inside the larger tank where the H. Mac is. Would that torture them both? They would not be able to get to each other but would probably sense each other? Do this at least for awhile until my OBT grows and I invest in a bigger locking tank.....or is this the stupidest idea ever?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kathy, I would advise you to just get the proper enclosures....

There is no reason to chance things like this. Especially when we are dealing with living creatures.

Also this is what you would refer to as "shark tanking" used mainly as a way to get a male and female ready for breeding.

I would say that if you did do this one of your Ts would "smell" the scent given off from the other T. Which is why shark tanking works. it would probably lead to two stressed out Ts.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, Cody that is what I kind of figured. This is what I was going to do, but yes, I guess a bad idea. I guess this will be secure enough anyway, I'm just a little nervous I guess getting an OBT and letting it pull a Houdini on me.

Attachments

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Aside from the possibility of one T getting in with the other, you double the chances of an escape if you have to have the lid on one open to access the other. My big Ts I am not so worried about an escape.. the little guys, I watch like a hawk!

Marga

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I would be more worried about the H mac bolting when I'm preoccupied with the OBT.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just use some electrical or magazine tape on the craft cube. Or you could just put a heavy flat rock on top. Although I have seen some people glue small hooks and use rubber bands, it looks like it works great.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
what if the OBT escaped.. and mated with the h. mac creating mutant offspring babies that were insanly defensive, and had the venom of both spiders!!!!

i shall call them OWBTs (Orange & White Bitey Things)

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
lolz that would be hillarious, my full grown OBT's lid is duck taped on. i had locks and weights. Every time i would look at her she would be testing the weak spots. so i finally gave up and duct taped her lid on.. needless to say im not worried about her escaping anymore.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lolz that would be hillarious, my full grown OBT's lid is duck taped on. i had locks and weights. Every time i would look at her she would be testing the weak spots. so i finally gave up and duct taped her lid on.. needless to say im not worried about her escaping anymore.
You guys are scaring me! My OBT arrived today and I was a nervous wreck unwrapping him. I put it all in the bathtub and had on work gloves. LOL. I slowly unwrapped him and shook him into the new enclosure and put the lid on really, really fast. He's about 1.5". I named him "Bambi". :)

Oh my gosh, I just checked on him, and he is already webbing! He's only been in there about 1/2 and hour!

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
You guys are scaring me! My OBT arrived today and I was a nervous wreck unwrapping him.
Rightfully so I think! I bought my sub-adult OBT from the local pet store and it escaped while transferring to a container for me to bring it home. It was really a miracle we caught it when jumping off the parrot cage. I was a little worried about what I was getting myself into.

Fortunately, now that it's fashioned a burrow and webbed up, caring for it is very manageable... as long as you don't touch it of course!

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You guys are scaring me! My OBT arrived today and I was a nervous wreck unwrapping him. I put it all in the bathtub and had on work gloves. LOL. I slowly unwrapped him and shook him into the new enclosure and put the lid on really, really fast. He's about 1.5". I named him "Bambi". :)

Oh my gosh, I just checked on him, and he is already webbing! He's only been in there about 1/2 and hour!
*Originally Posted by Hobo*
"You gotta search for "Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™" :D