Can you reuse enclosures?

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
I am planning on going to an expo in January and purchasing my second T! I have a 5.5gal enclosure that I had my A.Avic in until I rehoused him to an enclosure better suited for an arboreal. The enclosure has webbing on it and the substrate. I was wondering if I could re use the enclosure and if so how should I go about cleaning it? I don’t want to use any harsh chemicals, is soaking it in hot water for a while good enough?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Vinegar is a safe disinfectant to use. However, I don't know that you need to be that thorough about it. The main thing would be to get poop off of the glass so it looks nice again.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I was wondering if I could re use the enclosure and if so how should I go about cleaning it? I don’t want to use any harsh chemicals, is soaking it in hot water for a while good enough?
Yes, everyone is reusing their enclosures. If it isn´t that dirty you might just use water, but I usually give it a scrub with dishwashing soap. As long as you rinse it off well there shouldn´t be any issues with that.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course you can reuse enclosures! Also hides, water dishes, fake plants, cork bark, or other decor. You just have to wash them first. I use plain water for most things, but will opt for a mild dishwashing liquid (followed by thorough rinsing) for water dishes and sometimes the cages themselves. I will also soak then bake or microwave wood or cork - just to kill off any hitchhiking mites, spiders, or other critters. (I have a lot of freeloading, free-range Steatoda in my bug room, and sometimes they'll get into the nooks and crannies of the cork bark - particularly if it's been sitting around for a while. They have eaten a few of my pets before (like mantis nymphs or phasmid nymphs) plus I'm sure all the webbing they make is a nuisance to the intended occupants of the cages.)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was wondering if I could re use the enclosure and if so how should I go about cleaning it? I don’t want to use any harsh chemicals, is soaking it in hot water for a while good enough?
Yes, you can re-use enclosures; I clean my enclosures with warm water and a bit of dish soap.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am planning on going to an expo in January and purchasing my second T! I have a 5.5gal enclosure that I had my A.Avic in until I rehoused him to an enclosure better suited for an arboreal. The enclosure has webbing on it and the substrate. I was wondering if I could re use the enclosure and if so how should I go about cleaning it? I don’t want to use any harsh chemicals, is soaking it in hot water for a while good enough?
I just rinse with hot water.