Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Can you identify these scorpions?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by blooms, Dec 2, 2009.

1. blooms

blooms Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    I was doing some shopping and I came across these species, but I'm not sure what they are. Here in China, most people use common names, rather than scientific names. Can anyone identify them and give me the scientific name? Starting at the top left corner and going clockwise:

This first one was called 巴西杀人蝎 or "Brazilian Man Killing Scorpion"

This second was called 印度黄鳄背蝎子 or "Indian Yellow Alligator Back Scorpion"

This third was called 纳米比亚绿翡翠蝎子 or "Namibian Jadeite Green Scorpion"

This fourth was called 橙爪巨尾蝎 or "Orange Fingernail Great Scorpion"

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. rasputin

rasputin Arachnodemon Old Timer

1) Tityus stigmurus "confluenciata"
    2) Odontobuthus odonturus (I could be wrong on this one. I'm 95% certain though)
    3) Uroplectes olivaceus (juvenile)
    4) Uroplectes fisheri

3. blooms

blooms Arachnoknight

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely want to steer clear of the first one, based on what I've heard of that species.

4. blooms

blooms Arachnoknight

I've looked for more information about the Uroplectes species. Do you happen to know their toxicity and could you recommend a caresheet?

5. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

1) Tityus serrulatus.
    2) Androctonus amourexi.
    3) Uroplectes olivaceus.
    4) Centruroides gracilis.

John

6. rasputin

I wouldn't be too concerned with T. stigmurus, you'd only get stung if you weren't paying attention or were being stupid around it.

As far as the Uroplectes sp., contact Mark from http://www.buthiden.de.tl, he's an experienced keeper of this genus. His email address is: Spiritum_mortis@gmx.de

7. rasputin

John,

Since when does C. gracilis look like that? I've got an army of C. gracilis here right now, ranging from i2 to adult, none look like that nor have ever looked like that. #4 is 100% Uroplectes fisheri. The A. amoreuxi guess may be correct where I was 5% uncertain about my ID on #2, but you spelled amoreuxi wrong though. Although, A. amoreuxi is unlikely as the manus and chela coloration is wrong.

Blooms,

Although we have given you two possible names for scorpion #2, take in mind that the only scorpions referred to as "Alligator Back" are of the genus Hottentotta and I can say that there is no doubt in my mind that that scorpion is not from the genus Hottentotta.
    Possibilities include:
    A. amoreuxi - Least likely
    O. odonturus - Most likely
    Buthacus arenicola - 2nd most likely

8. pandinus

i'm not going to bicker these points. its my opinion, sorry if it pisses you off.

John

9. rasputin

John,

It didn't piss me off. ID isn't just a matter of opinion but rather a focus on fact.

For those in the dark, here's a thread with pics of some of the C. gracilis @ my place (the pix were taken over the past 24hrs): http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26065

10. freeman

freeman Arachnosquire

1) Tityus serrulatus
    2) looks like Androctonus sp. so if its from india it might be Androctonus finitimus or Androctonus maelfaiti
    3) Uroplectes olivaceus
    4) ? whats it's origin area?

11. rasputin

For #4 look at the 9th and 10th pictures in this thread (I'm 100% on the Uroplectes fisheri ID): http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26038

For #1, T. serrulatus / T. stigmurus "confluenciata" - same thing, I forgot the synonymization of the two.

If #2 is Androctonus maelfaiti, I want to see pictures of this species (go as far as to produce for me a live specimen and I'll remove my left testicle and express ship it to you). It's not Androctonus finitimus though. I'm sticking with my initial ID of O. odonturus.

One thing that should be taken in mind is the part of the world Blooms is from, the suppliers and dealers call the scorpion whatever they want and sell them to whoever will buy them. In the "western world" we actually care about the scientific name of our scorpions for a great number of reasons, many of which tend to be steeped in science - in the Asias, on the other hand, there are not enough people that care about the scientific names so the suppliers bypass that all together, leaving a number of hobbyists down there beating their heads against the wall trying to figure out what's what (as we can see with Blooms' quest to id the species he's found and is interested in buying).

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Arachnopeon

I agree with John's IDs for all four specimen. #1 and #3 are out of question. #2 is probably Androctonus amoreuxi, definitely not Odontobuthus odonturus. Reason: shape of the chelae and metasoma. O. odonturus would also have noticable spines on the metasoma. If anyone wants to point out now that the common name the dealer gave to the scorpion is "Indian whatever" and A. amoreuxi does not reach into India then I can only quote what Rasputin himself wrote:

#4 is not U. fisheri. I can say that without any doubt. If one knows where this species is from, who brought it into the hobby, etc. then there is nothing more to say. But for those who don't know about those circumstances just look at the pics at Venomlist. Scorpion #4 does not even come close to U. fisheri in looks. Look at the pedipalps, the legs, the metasoma, ...
    In my opinion #4 is probably Centruroides gracilis. There are several color morphs of that species. After only one second looking for C. gracilis pics with Google I found this: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/07/26/second-instar-centruroides-gracilis.html
    Look the same, don't they?

13. pandinus

it is also possible though i think a little more unlikely that it could be another centruroides species like C. margaritatus, but the thing to keep in mind with these two species is that htey have massive ranges in the combined regions of the southern US most of Central America, a large portion of the carribean, and decending into a substantial part of northern South America. Throughout that range there are many many different color variations of these two species and so many, especially as babies, can look very different from eachother. I have personally seen some that were jet black, some that are black with chocolate colored legs, some with tan legs and reddish chela, some that are mostly brown with a little red, and of course there is always the famous bicolor morph of margaritatus.

John

14. Koh_

Koh_ Arachnoangel Old Timer

im not an expert
    but i'd say

1->Tityus serrulatus
    2-> Androctonus amorexi
    3-> Uroplectes olivaceus
    4-> no idea but looks like it molted not so long ago lol

btw, the name for t.serrulatus is kinda interesting...
    Brazilian Man Killing Scorpion. what a name! lol

15. rasputin

1) The pictures you linked are of 2i C. gracilis
    2) Take a good long look at the last 2 metasomal segments and tell me that that is a Centruroides sp.

16. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

#1 Tityus sp.

#2 A.amourexi or a very closely related species.

#4 Some sort of Centruroides sp. (maybe Babycurus sp?)

Ignore the Common names as they are usually crap and not to be trusted.

Photos and color are some of the worst ways to ID a species - these ones are relatively small and do not offer much detail. #2 is the only one I would have a difficult time being swayed far from its ID. It "looks" very much like A.amourexi.

John
    ];')

17. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amen to that.

And I also agree that #2 is most likely A.amoreuxi or similar. The picture does show a few things in addition to proportions. The chela have that ... I don't know how to describe it .. I call it "lobster claws" in my own mind, despite the fact that they actually look nothing like lobsters. Also, you can see the heavy keels on the posterior half of the prosoma though you can't quite make out their configuration. The keels running from the median eyes to the notch at the anterior edge of the prosoma are also prominent and features that curve that reminds me of the pincers on an earwig. Just my two cents, though. Without better pictures you can't even begin to put confidence in these guesses. Without the specimen in hand it is hard to be sure.

Cheers,
    Dave

18. Jonathan.Hui

Jonathan.Hui Arachnoknight

Are you from Hong Kong ??

19. freeman

freeman Arachnosquire

Last one is similar to young Grosphus flavopiceus

20. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

1. Tityus serrulatus
    2. A.amoreuxi (A.finitimus is not a valid species and is therefore synonymized with A.australis, and this specimens looks nothing like that).
    3. U.olivaceus
    4. I am having troubles with this one, and I cannot ID it. I can only say it resembles a juvenile Grosphus grandidieri very strong (reddish pedipalps and the rest of the body blackish). But I am not labelling that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.