Can you handle more than one jumping spider at a time?

remarah1337

Arachnosquire
Please note: I WILL NEVER DO THIS as I value my spiders too much. Phantastic Phids has various clips on youtube of handling multiple jumping spiders at once.

I express concern with this because I’ve seen jumping spiders outside a hotel I was staying at once attempt to cannibalize another.
Isn’t this irresponsible?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Please note: I WILL NEVER DO THIS as I value my spiders too much. Phantastic Phids has various clips on youtube of handling multiple jumping spiders at once.

I express concern with this because I’ve seen jumping spiders outside a hotel I was staying at once attempt to cannibalize another.
handling in general is pretty irresponsible, only introduces risk without any benefit to the animal.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Yer utube is a sad place full of misinformation and silly ppl doing stupid things to get likes n subscribers if u see it on there then its probably not safe for your spoods or u. Don't get me wrong for certain things I do use utube ie sewing tutorials , pattern drafting ect but stuff for my spiders or any animals really no I wouldn't trust or copy anything I see on there.

remarah1337

Arachnosquire
Yer utube is a sad place full of misinformation and silly ppl doing stupid things to get likes n subscribers if u see it on there then its probably not safe for your spoods or u. Don't get me wrong for certain things I do use utube ie sewing tutorials , pattern drafting ect but stuff for my spiders or any animals really no I wouldn't trust or copy anything I see on there.
What is terrible is some people say Phantastic Phids is a “great breeder” but handling two spiders at once is a recipe for disaster. I would never purchase from someone who does such irresponsible things with their spiders.:shifty:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
handling in general is pretty irresponsible, only introduces risk without any benefit to the animal.
For most spiders, yes. With jumping spiders, if you do it right, has no danger to the spider and some seem to enjoy it.

This is an adult male and female. Is this an attempted breeding video? Lol.
I definitely wouldn’t do this personally. But the spiders she seems to video together all seem to have calm personalities. Not justifying what she’s doing, but I’m just saying I’m not sure it was done completely haphazardly. Maybe she has just had a lot of experience doing so and she knows what behaviors they show when they might be agressive towards eachother. Again, I wouldn’t do this personally.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
It’s possible, but would require a good deal of multitasking to pay attention to each of those curious critters. Not recommended

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
For most spiders, yes. With jumping spiders, if you do it right, has no danger to the spider and some seem to enjoy it.
I would question this. I don’t see any animal that’s only about an inch ever comfortable with a giant hand in front of them. Almost every time I approached any jumper the automatic response is run away.

That looks like a male and female. This happened to me before. I was hold a male and female of the same sp and the male was more interested in mating so he wasn’t frightened of me. I think the compulsion of mating in males somewhat overrides their fear of predators. I once was holding my D. crocata enclosures and that didn’t even make my male hesitant of mating. I believe spiders are relatively tolerant to disturbances when mating in some cases from my experience.

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I would question this. I don’t see any animal that’s only about an inch ever comfortable with a giant hand in front of them. Almost every time I approached any jumper the automatic response is run away.
Jumping spiders have many personalities. I’ve had many just jump on me and walk around my hands and refuse to get off. I’ve also had some scramble and run super fast while I was a ways away. You have to judge the temper of your jumper before handing. Though you may not have ever experienced an unafraid jumper, I can assure you they do indeed exist. Jumpers are some of the few spiders that enjoy exploring. Some enjoy exploring enough to jump on your hands.
I have handled hundreds of jumpers. As long as you are paying attention, they don’t get hurt.

remarah1337

Arachnosquire
Jumping spiders have many personalities. I’ve had many just jump on me and walk around my hands and refuse to get off. I’ve also had some scramble and run super fast while I was a ways away. You have to judge the temper of your jumper before handing. Though you may not have ever experienced an unafraid jumper, I can assure you they do indeed exist. Jumpers are some of the few spiders that enjoy exploring. Some enjoy exploring enough to jump on your hands.
I have handled hundreds of jumpers. As long as you are paying attention, they don’t get hurt.
Out of curiosity, have you ever been bit? I've heard of people handling hundreds and never got bit once, as long as they handled them correctly.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, have you ever been bit? I've heard of people handling hundreds and never got bit once, as long as they handled them correctly.
I have been bit by a large adult female Phiddipus octopunctatus. It actually caused the lymph nodes in my neck to swell up for several hours, basic pain at the bite site. The lymph node thing surprised me.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Well if you put it in that perspective I would say they sometimes enjoy exploring your hand as a surface to explore. They don’t enjoy walking on it just because it’s your hand.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Well if you put it in that perspective I would say they sometimes enjoy exploring your hand as a surface to explore. They don’t enjoy walking on it just because it’s your hand.
I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying.
Hand as surface
Hand because relationship is formed with animal and keeper
If you say that a jumping spider enjoys walking on your hand because it enjoys exploring new areas I would understand that. I do not believe that any arachnid forms a connection with its keeper. In fact I wouldn’t really say enjoy it but just preforming a natural behavior to explore new territory and I still question that any spider wants to be on a human hand.

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Hand as surface
Hand because relationship is formed with animal and keeper
If you say that a jumping spider enjoys walking on your hand because it enjoys exploring new areas I would understand that. I do not believe that any arachnid forms a connection with its keeper. In fact I wouldn’t really say enjoy it but just preforming a natural behavior to explore new territory and I still question that any spider wants to be on a human hand.
Yes agreed, I meant is this way. 👍🏻