Can you guess what is going on in this pic?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why freeze them out? Why not just clean out the leftovers and let the enclosures dry out? Add some isopods after. They'll keep it all cleaned up.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That was fast.. Yup it's mites :vomit:... They seem to be grain mites from dirty LPS crickets..

I figured I would post this so that newer keepers have a decent thread to refer to on how to combat an outbreak..

The Ts have been moved to completly empty enclosures and will stay there for 24hrs while there enclosures are being frozen to kill off the disgusting little bastards..

The shelving unit they were housed on has been washed with a weak bleach water solution and this step will be repeated again tomorrow..

This is the most efficient way to kill mites that I know of if anyone else wishes to share there methods feel free..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Why freeze them out? Why not just clean out the leftovers and let the enclosures dry out?
IMO it takes too long and gives the mites time to travel and lay eggs makeing the probability of re-infestation greater..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO it takes too long and gives the mites time to travel and lay eggs makeing the probability of re-infestation greater..
That's understandable. Only issue with the freezer method, some folks may not have access to a freezer big enough for some enclosures.

I've always let my enclosures dry out and added some isopods. Then they keep it clean afterwards. No more mite issues after that.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's understandable. Only issue with the freezer method, some folks may not have access to a freezer big enough for some enclosures
Very good point and I agree that letting the enclosure dry out will work..

Now this is something I have gotten mixed answers on before.. Will isopods eat mites or do they just eat left over bolus and other decaying matter like poop?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very good point and I agree that letting the enclosure dry out will work..

Now this is something I have gotten mixed answers on before.. Will isopods eat mites or do they just eat left over bolus and other decaying matter like poop?
I've read they eat the mite eggs. I'd have to find that source again. It's been several years. I'm not sure if they eat the mites.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea I have heard they will eat the eggs myself..

I'll tell you what. I'll be ordering some isopods here soon. To add to my enclosures. I'll let you know if they eat mites or not.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I thought springtails were beneficial? Sort of a mini-clean up crew?
They definitely are. I've only had positive experiences with them. I have heard that they can get out of hand though, not sure how accurate that is. I'm sure it also depends on what species of springtail you're dealing with.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I had a big outbreak in my mealworm colony again and just yesterday stuck the whole colony in the freezer. Sigh. Take two.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They definitely are. I've only had positive experiences with them. I have heard that they can get out of hand though, not sure how accurate that is. I'm sure it also depends on what species of springtail you're dealing with.
Oh, good! I was getting worried, i just released some in my E.murinus' enclosure to deal with leftovers, since it is a damp living burrower :D

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Oh, good! I was getting worried, i just released some in my E.murinus' enclosure to deal with leftovers, since it is a damp living burrower :D
I just did the same in my P. metallica's enclosure! I was fortunate enough to have a colony spontaneously pop up in my G. pulchra's enclosure, so I'm making the most out of it. They're very easy to manage IME. Since they spend most of their time around the water dish, all I need to do is change the water regularly to keep the population under control. It's pretty cool to see their numbers ebb and flow even over the course of a week.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I just did the same in my P. metallica's enclosure! I was fortunate enough to have a colony spontaneously pop up in my G. pulchra's enclosure, so I'm making the most out of it. They're very easy to manage IME. Since they spend most of their time around the water dish, all I need to do is change the water regularly to keep the population under control. It's pretty cool to see their numbers ebb and flow even over the course of a week.
They also come in handy when my B.smithi toppled her waterdish. Again. And again. Or for my B.albopilosum MM who apparently thinks the substrate beneath his waterdish is the way out of his enclosure...:D