Can you feed frozed prey?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The reason I ask is I want to start plumping up my females to prep them for breeding and it's getting harder to find live pinkies. I have read that you can do it but I haven't had any success with past T's. What do you guys think? Any helpful ideas? Thanks, Trey

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes you can use thawed pinkies. You can just dangle them in front of the t, or even just leave it dead outside its burrow and it usually takes it. Ive never had an experience feeding them to large arboreals though so my advice is only really for terrestrial/burrowers

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could just as easy feed them live feeder insects, they do the same job at a lower price

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally have never gotten any of my Ts to take frozen thawed prey. They turn their noses up to that kind of food and wait for the real stuff. I guess it does not hurt to try though.

Why you trying to use frozen food anyway? You cant get crickets or roaches?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could just as easy feed them live feeder insects, they do the same job at a lower price

Pinky mice are a good way to fatten up a female pre-breeding. They do the job faster than crickets, and offer a higher amount of nutrients, though they should never be the sole food source.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to give my pokie and some other T's thawed pinkies every so often. I stopped because of the usual reasons - stinking, messy, and uneccessary.

I prefer well-fed insects if nutrients are needed. Sorry, Texas Blonde.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well im going to be breeding my GBB tomorrow and I want to make sure the thought of pouncing doesn't even come into the picture. Plus the mouse would offer a higher source of protein than crickets.

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know about mice, but I have been freezing and thawing crickets for my smaller guys for a while now. A lot (maybe most) of the nematodes I worry about won't withstand freezing for a week, and also I can buy a big bag of crickets and freeze them all, save trips to the pet store.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are planning to breed tomorrow, there really isn't any prey you could offer that would "plump" her up by this time if by that you need you want to fatten her up. She would only be able to eat one pinkie in this time and one meal isn't really going to do it. If by this you mean you want to make sure she is well fed so that she isn't so hungry that she eats your male, you can do that just as well with feeder insects. More often than not, females eat males less because they are hungry and more out of a defensive response (so feeding well ahead of time may not do much to prevent that).