can we mix millipedes with Ts

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Was out the other day looking for centipedes and came across a bunch of two and three inch millipedes. I know people put pill bugs and other invents in with Ts as tank cleaners. Do you think my Ts would eat these or would they leave them alone. I am not looking to make them food. They are just too cool.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No we cannot.

Isopods seem to be the only exception. Otherwise, keep nothing else in with your Ts.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No we cannot.

Isopods seem to be the only exception. Otherwise, keep nothing else in with your Ts.
Wow... this was an uneducated response.

I keep red wiggler worms, sow/pill bugs, snails, springtails (multiple species), predatory mites, and garden millipedes in all my tarantula tanks.

The garden millipedes only get about 1.5-2cm long at the most and I keep them with dwarf tarantula species. They are untouched and propagate well.

The millipedes you found may be food size depending on the tarantula size. I can't find the link, but one display had Avicularia avicularia with Giant Black African Millipedes. The millipedes were far too large to be used as a food source. Also some millipedes emit hydrogen cyanide as a defense when threatened and it can be assumed a tarantula will lose interest in it being a food source right away.

hardtohandle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would not bet on it for the simple reason that millipedes have toxins... Not sure with the effect of its toxins with t's, though...

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found the link:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=111204

Believe me, there are a lot of mixed tanks you can do by choosing from various genera. I do not suggest it for any novice and I rarely do it myself beyond the detritivores I use to keep my fully planted tanks clean. One such combination I had going included a mix between Damon diadema (Tanzanian Tailless Whip Scorpion) and Peacock Day Geckos in a 90 gallon tank. Both species bred and young survived amongst the other species. Did I also mention a caecilian lived in the bottom too?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Abrax,
I knew there had to be a resonable response. the T I was thinking placing them with is about five inches, so i think it is probably likely that the Milli might become food. I have little pillbugs in there now and the T doesnt even notice them at all or care, I was hoping the same would be true for the Millipedes, but your reasoning is reason enough for me to look for other cleaners like you have. thanks again

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you ever do find a small species of millipede and want to introduce them the best way to check to see if they release high, if any, levels of hydrogen cyanide is to stress them out in a small container. You can do this by poking them till they roll up or slowly shake the container. If it begins to smell like almonds they release a high level of hydrogen cyanide and in a small, low ventilation container will gas themselves and any animal they consider a threat. Yes the millipedes can kill themselves. In most typical millipede/tarantula caging this is usually never an issue.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How safe is it to wiff a millipede's cyanide? Is it enough to render a person unconscious?