Can water dishes soak up chemicals?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Hi friends!

So I've got another weird one for you lot. I've just purchased my next tarantula and I'll be picking up the necessary supplies for her tomorrow. I have an extra water dish that I'd like to use instead of getting another one but it's been sitting in the bathroom cabinet for several months. (I don't remember why I put it there.) The cabinet with soap, Comet cleaner, candles, Clorox, and plenty of other things in it. I know it's made of stone but the paranoid side of me worries it can somehow soak all of that up, lol. If I clean the water dish thoroughly should it be okay or should I just err on the side of caution and get a new one?

Thanks guys! Sorry for being the overly paranoid keeper once more!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Unglazed stone will be porous and could leach out any chemicals stored in it I wouldnt risk it water dishes are pretty cheap. For bigger T's i use a ceramic baking ramekin from the store they come in many different sizes. Smaller T's and slings get water bottle caps and juice/gator aide caps for theirs.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The chemicals weren't actually in or touching the water dish - they were just stored (in their own containers) in the same cabinet?

Did any of them leak or spill in the cabinet, and come into contact with the dish? Were there any strong odors of chemicals when you opened the cabinet, indicating that they might not be properly sealed and that fumes might have been absorbed by the dish? Does the dish have any chemical odor or residue on it (either inside or outside)?

If none of the chemicals came into contact with the dish, it should be fine - but if you're worried about it, dishes are cheap. Toss it and get a new one.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I mean, Clorox in a properly sealed bottle will NOT leach into the air inside the cabinet. And stuff like make up remover shouldn’t have anything insecticidal. Unless there’s a puddle of bleach on the shelf that makes you suspect it’s contaminated, I’d rinse it in Dawn or Seventh Generation and use it.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One could also save different size plastic bottle and jar caps for future use. Many sizes.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Hi friends!

So I've got another weird one for you lot. I've just purchased my next tarantula and I'll be picking up the necessary supplies for her tomorrow. I have an extra water dish that I'd like to use instead of getting another one but it's been sitting in the bathroom cabinet for several months. (I don't remember why I put it there.) The cabinet with soap, Comet cleaner, candles, Clorox, and plenty of other things in it. I know it's made of stone but the paranoid side of me worries it can somehow soak all of that up, lol. If I clean the water dish thoroughly should it be okay or should I just err on the side of caution and get a new one?

Thanks guys! Sorry for being the overly paranoid keeper once more!
Plastic Resins are polymers...polymers make great chemical sponges. Err on the side of caution.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys! I'll just get her a new one, I think I can find some plastic lids around here somewhere. :)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I'd say you probably don't need to worry much you could probably use it.