Can T's see in the dark?

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just wondering about T vision. What do they see during the day? Color? B & W?

Also, can T's see in the dark? Just wondering if they can see the crickets in their tanks, or if they find them by vibration only??

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe they have poor vision (from what I've read anyway) so they mostly hunt by vibrations. The hairs on their legs are very sensitive, as I've found by experience.

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a T has 4 eyes a normal house spider has 6 to 8 eyes excluding the salticidae genus (jumping spider) which also has 4 eyes but the jumping spiders eyes are forward facing rather than on the top of there head like a T;) {} and as far as spider sight ther sight is not very well in light they go mainly bye feel in the light there sight is better at night this is why they have 4 eyes to let in more light most species only emerge to hunt at night so yes T's have night vision as far as color B&W or ultras im stumped :confused:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Diane S
The hairs on their legs are very sensitive, as I've found by experience.
Hmmm, now I know what you do at night when you have too much time on your hands!
=D =D

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lyle Beach
I was just wondering about T vision. What do they see during the day? Color? B & W?

Also, can T's see in the dark? Just wondering if they can see the crickets in their tanks, or if they find them by vibration only??
Based purely on my own observation, my Tarantulas eyes are not used for hunting and killing prey. Their eyes seem to have the ability to detect rapid changes in light (it just got really bright). They have the ability to tell whether it's daytime or night time. If they're running and looking for a spot to hide, they aim for the darkest spot they can detect, which indicates to me that they can detect differences in light and dark at a short distance.

So it seems that their eyes are fairly good light meters, but not good for identifying objects.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tarantulas have the same eye configuration as vertibrates. Different species have different rod and cone combinations making for different visual acuity. Most tarantulas and spiders are thought to have poor vision. The real answer is that eye structure study of different species is limited to non-existant. Main school of thought is that sight doesn't play a very large role for most species and that their eyesight is limited.
Rev

Last edited:

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if there's one thing a T's eyes are good at...it is telling the difference between light and dark, right?:?

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Angelo
if there's one thing a T's eyes are good at...it is telling the difference between light and dark, right?:?
oops...never mind, some already answered that. my bad!:p

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Originally posted by xalbinox
a T has 4 eyes a normal house spider has 6 to 8 eyes excluding the salticidae genus (jumping spider) which also has 4 eyes but the jumping spiders eyes are forward facing rather than on the top of there head like a T;) {} and as far as spider sight ther sight is not very well in light they go mainly bye feel in the light there sight is better at night this is why they have 4 eyes to let in more light most species only emerge to hunt at night so yes T's have night vision as far as color B&W or ultras im stumped :confused:
I always thought tarantulas had 8 eyes (1 pair of Anterior median eyes,1 pair of median eyes,1 pair of Anterior lateral eyes and 1 pair of Posterior lateral eyes) except for a few specs that are found in some cave somewhere, which I hear have no eyes at all!
Or did you mean that tarantulas have 4 pairs of eyes?:?

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah ts have 8 eyes i think the keast amount a soider can have is 6 but a t has 8

mike