Can Ts be safely paired?

KatieB207

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a 2” Granmostola pulchra, Brazilian black T. It was my first T and I was happy with my buy. I decided while they are still available, I purchased the last 2 Ts they had, same size, 2”. My question is, I made a large bio active enclosure 24” x 18” x 10”, can I safely house 2 of these Brazilian black Ts together? New to the hobby so I wasn’t sure. I saw on YouTube someone housed 2 sling Ts together for a month or so, then separated them.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
2 inch is not a sling anymore. Even if they were,keep them separate. They WILL cannibalize each other.
Also,that enclosure is too large and too wet (for a G.pulchra) if it supports a bioactive setup. Just keep them separate and drier.
Popular T youtubers are not a good source of info.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Yes, as @vicareux has said, really do not do this. You will end up with dead spiders immediately.

Communal set ups are a hotly debated topic on their own and there's maybe 3 species people regularly try to keep together, usually with a disastrous outcome.

G. Pulchra are not one of these species. Focus on giving them the best possible husbandry but in separate enclosures

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently purchased a 2” Granmostola pulchra, Brazilian black T. It was my first T and I was happy with my buy. I decided while they are still available, I purchased the last 2 Ts they had, same size, 2”. My question is, I made a large bio active enclosure 24” x 18” x 10”, can I safely house 2 of these Brazilian black Ts together? New to the hobby so I wasn’t sure. I saw on YouTube someone housed 2 sling Ts together for a month or so, then separated them.
Yes if you want to kill one.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Sorry but no. And echoing everyone else, I’m sure your bioactive enclosure is nice, but a 2” spider doesn’t need that much room, and a bioactive set up in general isn’t gonna work for this arid species. A set up where springtails can thrive will have too much moisture for a G pulchra.

Welcome to the boards and to the hobby. Tom Moran is great, but if you go through, you’ll see one of his communals ended with cannibalism. Many other youtubers do not have good husbandry, so please refer to Arachnobords as your main source of information. You might not like every answer you get, but you’ll get the advice that will help keep your spiders alive. In the cast of G pulchra, this may be well over 20 years.

best of luck

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Also,that enclosure is too large and too wet (for a G.pulchra)
a bioactive set up in general isn’t gonna work for this arid species. A set up where springtails can thrive will have too much moisture for a G pulchra.
Firstly, don't put two pulchras in the same enclosure unless you only want one.

Sencondly, did someone ever check where the pulchra really lives? Check out their climate please, even the driest season, gets more water than the average of the keepers local chart.

Because of the Pulchras can be kept in a drier condition, it doesn't mean that they are an arid species... They live brazilian-uruguayan pampa/savanna and their soil is clay-sandy based one, so it dries faster as it drains the water more quickly than other types of soil. So you should offer her some moisture at least. And springtails don't need ponds to thrive...

Now the bioactive enclosure. I have rised mine since L5-L6 in a vivarium without any single issue. Why? Being a propperly setted bio active enclosure, they have plenty of food and water available. They can hunt isopods, earthworms... etc when they want. The only downside? The pulchra will fast for looooooong periods of time, mine even fasted for almost a year.

The enclosure needs to have a pretty good ventilation system, not only a top ventilation grill. All the plants, substrate or any kind of decoration should be adecuate for your T.

It'd be appropiate to post a picture of your enclosure, to check if it's suitable for a bio active enclosure or for your T.

Even so, I won't recommend to start a bio-active enclosure unless you have done your homeworks propperly, reading about substrates, bio active critters, ventilation, moisture, your T's habitat... etc

Mine

View attachment VID_20200903_211030.mp4
IMG_20200513_172542.jpg IMG_20200530_191032.jpg
IMG_20200528_160330.jpg

Last edited: