Can tarantulas hair fall out?

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Hello.

So, yesterday I posted a question about a bold place appearing on my tarantulas abdomen. It was rather small yesterday, and today when I checked her abdomen again, there was this rather big clump of hair fallen out, just sitting caught on the longer hair on her abdomen.

Now, I know tarantulas get bald spots when they kick their hairs out, but she wouldn´t have a big clump of hair sitting on her butt if she kicked them.

For a moment I thought it was some kind of dirt that has fallen into her enclosure, so I grabbed a very soft paint brush and proceeded to gently swipe the clump of her abdomen. However, after that the bald spot gotten bigger and more hairs got released.

When it comes to her nature, she is very calm and seems to be rather curious and social.
Anytime I try to handle her, she´s be very calm on my hand, would walk slowly, and very, very rarely would bolt away, only did it once when she walked over my friends leg. I´ve only seen her kick hair 3 times and I don´t think that´s enough to make the bald spot on her butt to appear.

Is this normal? Can they lose hair even if they don´t kick them out?

Also, she climbs the plastic walls of her enclosure very often and sometiems falls down. The walls aren´t high at all, so it´s very unlikely she´d hurt herself. But could she, like, prehaps scrape her hair off while falling?

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
Three kicks can still create a bald patch. They don't hurt the tarantula at all. If she is falling you can add more substrate so the height from the substrate to the top of the enclosure is no more than 1.5 times her leg span.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your tarantula could have flicked setae for any number of reasons, depending on sp. some use them on there bed of web whilst moulting as a defensive mechanism, it may have been spooked from something you knew nothing about, the best thing to do is post a picture of the spider and it's current enclosure, that way we'll be able to advise appropriately, don't worry setae grow back after a moult.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Your tarantula could have flicked setae for any number of reasons, depending on sp. some use them on there bed of web whilst moulting as a defensive mechanism, it may have been spooked from something you knew nothing about, the best thing to do is post a picture of the spider and it's current enclosure, that way we'll be able to advise appropriately, don't worry setae grow back after a moult.

She's very active today. She walks over her enclosure and she even climbed out of it and explored my table and walked all over my arms. She does climb the walls really really often tho, could it mean she wants to get out??

Attachments

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

She's very active today. She walks over her enclosure and she even climbed out of it and explored my table and walked all over my arms. She does climb the walls really really often tho, could it mean she wants to get out??
As I thought nothing to worry about regarding the setae, the enclosure should have more substrate in it, fill it up to 1.5 x DLS from the substrate to the lid of the enclosure, so say your T is 3" you would add enough sub so there's a gap of 4.5", this will stop the little one getting a ruptured abdomen if it fell from the top of the set-up your using now, apart from that everything looks great. Just add more substrate.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
That height is too big, I would add more substrate. Anyway, beautiful T. ;) I think that bald spot is not a concern, my little Nhandus are way more balder.
And handling... forget that, please! :angelic:

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
Could be a sign of molting since my lasiodora parahybana kicks all her hair off before a molt

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
That height is too big, I would add more substrate. Anyway, beautiful T. ;) I think that bald spot is not a concern, my little Nhandus are way more balder.
And handling... forget that, please! :angelic:
I will definitelly put more there, but I am out of it right now, will have to buy more.

As about the handling... I don´t force her on my arms and hands, she usually just gets there herself.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
Well if she just ate then I'm not sure what it is, like TarantulaBella said 3 kicks can easily create a bald spot. Watch the abdomen color, if it turns dark or black it will molt soon after that.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Well if she just ate then I'm not sure what it is, like TarantulaBella said 3 kicks can easily create a bald spot. Watch the abdomen color, if it turns dark or black it will molt soon after that.
I know that, will do, thank you!

I am a begginner so all this stuff is still new and very nerve-wrecking for me, since Oncie is currently the biggest love of my life and I don´t know how well I´d handle if I found out she was ill or was going to die soon or something, I rather ask about every little detail, just to make sure.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I know that, will do, thank you!

I am a begginner so all this stuff is still new and very nerve-wrecking for me, since Oncie is currently the biggest love of my life and I don´t know how well I´d handle if I found out she was ill or was going to die soon or something, I rather ask about every little detail, just to make sure.
AB is the best place, to learn everything about your tarantula. Read the new and old topics as well, I am sure you are going to find tons of useful information. ;) And if you are not sure in something, don't be shy and ask, but do not overthink everything about her. They are tough and adaptive creatures, especially the B. hamorii. Your setup is fine, just add more substrate, keep it dry with a water dish, that's all. And that hide is cool! :)

And the handling again: they aren't social creatures, they don't have the brain for it. They really don't need it. If you HAVE TO handle her, do it on your bed, a fall could kill your T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anytime I try to handle her, she´s be very calm on my hand, would walk slowly, and very, very rarely would bolt away, only did it once when she walked over my friends leg. I´ve only seen her kick hair 3 times and I don´t think that´s enough to make the bald spot on her butt to appear.

Is this normal? Can they lose hair even if they don´t kick them out?

Also, she climbs the plastic walls of her enclosure very often and sometiems falls down. The walls aren´t high at all, so it´s very unlikely she´d hurt herself. But could she, like, prehaps scrape her hair off while falling?
I would do more reading on this forum than you already MAY have done.

1. Handling is not the best thing for a T, it's a great way to end up with an injured or dead T. It happens all the time on this forum. Just know if something happens to your cherished pet due to handling, it's your fault because they derive no benefit from handling.

2. You've seen 3 times the setae being kicked, well clearly you aren't watching your T 24 hr a day, 7 days a week because bald spots don't magically appear.

3. Your T is kicking hair- case closed.

4. Your T should have more room to roam around.

5. The container is too tall for that T. Substrate to lid height should be no more than 1.5X their diagonal leg span for terrestrials.

The thing is, she ate 2 days ago, and they reject food before they molt.
This is not an absolute. I've had Ts eat the day of, and day before they molted.

boina

Lady of the mites
4. Your T should have more room to roam around.
@Hyeniik: Just to clarify: INSIDE her enclosure. It looks pretty cramped in there. Tarantulas don't usually move around a lot in the wild, they stay close to their burrows because that is where they feel safe.

And yes, your tarantula kicks hair, whether you see it or not, they don't just lose it like that. Your tarantula seems to not feel very safe in it's enclosure. I would think the hide is too big to work, they like tighter spaces. And letting it roam around all the time is very likely freaking your tarantula out pretty seriously. They don't show low level stress by running away but possibly by moving around a lot, in search for a safe space where they can settle. From what you tell you are not providing that.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
When you get a chance to add substrate, consider semi-burying the hide. That way, the hide becomes part of the substrate topography, and gives the T more room to roam.

Here's how I setup my B. hamorii, but with cork bark pieces glued together:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yup, really no need to worry about the bald patch. When you keep a lot of Ts, the bald patch becomes old news;)

And I'll emphasize the dangers of handling. We lost a 10 year old G. porteri a little over a month ago because she fell to her death. It literally is the most terrible way for them to go! I still remember the way she was curled up, still barely alive, and trembling like I've never seen a spider do:( Since you mentioned how much you love your spider (and I know you truly do), you should definitely do what's best for her. It doesn't matter how docile she seems to be. Something could spook her.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
When you get a chance to add substrate, consider semi-burying the hide. That way, the hide becomes part of the substrate topography, and gives the T more room to roam.

Here's how I setup my B. hamorii, but with cork bark pieces glued together:
Great example of how any terrestrial enclosure should be set up, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Great example of how any terrestrial enclosure should be set up, a picture is worth a thousand words.
I'll rehouse her to a bigger tank, if it would be better for her, and will add more substrate once i have it