Can Tarantuals be taught?

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I taught my T's to "shake". They also listen to "roll over"... it's just usually a very long-delayed response. lol

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I taught my T's to "shake". They also listen to "roll over"... it's just usually a very long-delayed response. lol
let's not forget to kick :p, no seriously though I have to agree to some extent that maybe they can learn to sense that food is coming when the lid is removed, etc.

jimip

Arachnosquire
i think any animal can pick up habits, but im sure its more imprinting type deals rather then complex thought of if i go sit in the sun it will be nice and warm.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I maintain that Ts can learn some stuff from experience in their close proximity, but not from its human owner.

Perhaps one day we will learn to drum properly and communicate with them using morse code :rolleyes:

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I maintain that Ts can learn some stuff from experience in their close proximity, but not from its human owner.

Perhaps one day we will learn to drum properly and communicate with them using morse code :rolleyes:
I tried that once lol but failed miserably :(

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey dude chill, no pun intended. Some keepers get into inverts because they used to keep or still do keep reptiles. This can lead to assuming that inverts need a basking spot like lizards and snakes do. It's an understandable misconception, or in the form of true rookies, understandable misinformation. Newbs often don't realize the danger of dessication until they have tarantula jerky in their tank, or they find out that they can't create such a hot spot in the cage. Warm spot sure, hot spot no.
True, but even most reptiles can become overheated if they don't have a spot that is cooler in their enclosure.....a reptile keeper should know this.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I taught my T's how to catch food in there mouth. I say one...two......THREE and the cricket just dissappears :D It's really cool. Also taught my versi to only poop on the glass!

Alex G

Arachnopeon
I taught my T's how to catch food in there mouth. I say one...two......THREE and the cricket just dissappears :D It's really cool. Also taught my versi to only poop on the glass!
That's nuts! You must've trained my A.avic, too! She just did a few circles in her cage before hoisting her rump into the air and shooting liquid dookie onto the side of her cage she's designated as the poop wall.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't think they can be "taught." Mostly because of how different their senses are to other pets.

Maybe they use habits that work for them, though. There's some videos of tarantulas sliding off the cage lid in those reptile cages.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't think they can be "taught." Mostly because of how different their senses are to other pets.

Maybe they use habits that work for them, though. There's some videos of tarantulas sliding off the cage lid in those reptile cages.
Oh yeah!? Well.... I've taught several of mine how to scratch their bums. B boehmei seemed to catch on the quickest. On the other hand, G pulchra must be be slow learners :?