can someone tell me what enrichment jumping spiders need? i wanna create phidippus with iq of 300, not joking :D

jumper007

Arachnopeon
texture of the objects the spider can walk on.
but which textures exactly?

different colors, but which ones? does reflection of the color and object matter?

fluid food like honey, does honey constipate? and how often to give fluid food?

what else?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I mean, you can collect natural vines and plants and bark. But the ultimate way is to build with only the finest of Italian cork, Northern California bred coyote grapes vines and the finest of cypress and choir and sand soil mix. If smartness is the goal, I’ve got news, but heightened instincts, that’s the best way is just make the tank bigger and natural.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Jumping spiders can digest sugars, so I doubt it would constipate them. The best type of enclosure is one that has lots of different things to climb on. Sturdy things, flimsy things, and places they can hide if they are stressed. Don’t put reflective things into your enclosure! If it’s any more reflective than the plastic of the enclosure, that’s a bad idea! Both females and males might do this if they see their reflection. It’s a threatening pose. Basically saying “get away from me or else!” 9B20104E-8CCE-48A3-9E1F-B373F0F1E323.jpeg

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Add a chess board in the enclosure, so it can encourage jumping from square to square in certain patterns/angles.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Did not need that thread title this AM. @jumper007 , what's the plan? Piaget's theory aside, suggested reading, have you considered the possibility that possessing an IQ that high would result in evolution producing jumping spiders? Perhaps Nietzsche, more suggested reading, in his present incarnation as a salticid is regarding us lowly anthropoids and sighing about our evolutionary dead end.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
I didn’t know that threads outside of the watering hole were allowed to be 100% jokes. Was this person not actually asking for help?

Jumper

Arachnosquire
I mean, you can collect natural vines and plants and bark. But the ultimate way is to build with only the finest of Italian cork, Northern California bred coyote grapes vines and the finest of cypress and choir and sand soil mix. If smartness is the goal, I’ve got news, but heightened instincts, that’s the best way is just make the tank bigger and natural.
i'd also offer different various type of prey. Enrichment to them is to HUNT!

-Jumper

folkmare

Arachnopeon
texture of the objects the spider can walk on.
but which textures exactly?

different colors, but which ones? does reflection of the color and object matter?

fluid food like honey, does honey constipate? and how often to give fluid food?

what else?
Hahaha I know this is an old/joke thread but I was JUST looking at articles on jumping spider enrichment and intelligence to influence a new tank setup. Made some 1st time mistakes with my last jumper that I wouldn't do again (hides were a little TOO good and I lost her a few times). But a list of my zebra jumper's favorite things were:
  • Her cholla driftwood tube
  • Her artificial flower, attached to braided craft wire to create a little spiral ramp
    • (AGAIN, NOT TOO MANY PETALS OR A SMALL SPIDER WILL ENTER THE FLOWER AND YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN)
  • A tiny ceramic house, no inside area - purely decorative, she just liked to stand on the roof and pretend to be big, I guess
  • A stick
  • A little flat piece of wood she liked to hide underneath
  • A canary nest I bought at petsmart

jumper007

Arachnopeon
@folkmare so the spider wasnt always on the lid or at a very heigh location on the walls? i assume the objects u mention were on the ground?

folkmare

Arachnopeon
@folkmare so the spider wasnt always on the lid or at a very heigh location on the walls? i assume the objects u mention were on the ground?
The house was on the ground, the nest was mounted and the wood tube was placed vertically with another diagonal stick! the artificial flower was at the top held up by the floral wire. She did weirdly spend a lot of time on the ground for a jumping spider though.

jumper007

Arachnopeon
The house was on the ground, the nest was mounted and the wood tube was placed vertically with another diagonal stick! the artificial flower was at the top held up by the floral wire. She did weirdly spend a lot of time on the ground for a jumping spider though.
hm. i would get again phidippus T_T but i just hate moving the feeders insects into the enclosure. i always feel its messy.
i wish there would be insects i could just let breed inside spiders enclosure.