Can someone recommend me a decent, cheapish space heater (UK)?

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Sorry for yet another post!

So I've got a few Ts and so far, I've been keeping them in a variety of boxes (got a few faunariums, a couple tubs, etc.) inside a cabinet with a heatmat proped against the back and a headmat in the middle of it (none of the boxes touch it). Thing is, the cabinet is far too small for my growing collection, so I was thinking about moving everything to a spare empty room I've got upstairs. Another thing is that I'm getting a bit worried with all this ventilation talk and the cabinet has a glass front door as well as a hole in the back for wires, but that's not much now, is it?

Now the trouble is, my house is pretty cold (it's probably around 60-65F inside, colder at night during the winter) and we don't use the heating much because it's prohibitively expensive in this area (and it's on a meter, which sucks and ends up running out at the worst times...). I was thinking about getting an electric space heater with a thermostat and just heating that small room (maybe 3x2 meters small, or close). However I'm not sure what would get the job done. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of stuff?

I was thinking about this, but I'm not sure if it'd be too weak? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aironic-El...sr=8-3&keywords=small+heaters+with+thermostat

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
You can get cheaper and higher wattage ones from the likes of pound stretcher, wilkos and argos.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
You can get cheaper and higher wattage ones from the likes of pound stretcher, wilkos and argos.
My issue is getting one with a thermostat. I wouldn't want the spiders (nor the reptiles I also week and will be moving into the same room; ofc they'll still have heat mats as well) to roast...

Rachel87

Arachnopeon
Oh I didn't think of that. The one that you have found should be good. I had one of these to heat up my living room and they are really cosy. Just make sure it's a fair distance from any materials or fabrics.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
ARGOS bro. Or eBay.

Just read the comments :banghead:

I got mine off of eBay.

Grenn

Arachnopeon
I absolutely would not recommend an electric fan heater! They don't have any means of maintaining heat, other than being on continuously - and at 2k Watts that's an expensive thing to leave running. Here's a good resource for understanding the costs: https://www.sust-it.net/heating-energy-calculator.php

The heater you posted looks pretty good to me, certainly more cost effective than other 'cheaper' ones.

In my room I have a small oil filled radiator. At 1500W it's not cheap to run but once it heats up it stays warm and just clicks itself off and on, so doesn't need to be on continuously. Good luck! :)