Can someone recommend a beginner tarantula that spins a web?

Zeusophobia

Arachnopeon
Never owned a tarantula before. I want one that spins a web. Could someone point me in the right direction?

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
all tarantulas spin webs. Some may web more profusely than others. The Greenbottle Blue webs crazy, and so does Avic avic. The avic makes large tube webs. I've heard that OBT's web crazy too.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
all tarantulas spin webs. Some may web more profusely than others. The Greenbottle Blue webs crazy, and so does Avic avic. The avic makes large tube webs. I've heard that OBT's web crazy too.
+1 on the GBB,but IME,A.Avic tends not to web a whole lot other than when molting.A.Versicolors tend to web like crazy.If you want arboreal,go with A.Versicolor.If you want Terrestial,go with GBB.GBBs web their entire enclosure up.They are pretty spendy though.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Well most avicularias are good. But it's probably better to go with a terestrial first

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cyclosternum fasciatum
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Holothele incei
Avicularia species

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. murinus and C. fimbriatus make some awesome webbing if you wanna go Old World.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Avic Avic makes some beautiful webbings and is a great beginner T

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well to someone who is just starting out I would suggest a Avic or GBB as they web like crazy, not to fast, less defensive, and are better suited for a beginner who is getting a first or second T.

SonnyAZ

Arachnopeon
Well to someone who is just starting out I would suggest a Avic or GBB as they web like crazy, not to fast, less defensive, and are better suited for a beginner who is getting a first or second T.
There you go :clap:

VinceG

Arachnobaron
I agree with C.Cyanopubescens and avicularia sp., they are really great for beginners web like crazy!

If you like smaller Ts, you could also go with a Cyriocosmus sp, or holothele sp, very voracious and web quite a lot too!

Zeusophobia

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of the great responses!

I'm thinking OBT as it's my favorite color. I'm just worried about getting bit when I try to feed it. If I put it in a 10 gallon fish tank with a wire top, would the tank be too high for it to lung and bite me?

I really like this spider and I'm having reservations about getting something fast and aggressive. With proper precautions this would not present much of a problem though would it?

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
They can climb the sides, so they could run out any time you open the top. I got an OBT as my first tarantula as well, even though everyone warned me not to.
I treat it with respect, leave it alone, only open to feed/water it. The reason I got it as my first is because everyone said you just cant kill them, and you really cant lol. Mine webs all the time as well. But, most likely from my experiences, when you open the top, they wont run out, the will just go back and hide.
I think the OBT's have a way worse rep then they deserve, but thats just my opinion.

Stephen

Sirtaylot01

Arachnopeon
my avicularia avicularia webs like crazy and was my first tarantula. overall its a pretty good choice :]

Mez

Arachnoknight
Have you any experience with other animals, such as reptiles?
If youre brand new to animals (or at least anyting with a good feeding response and small) i would avoid OBTs and Pokies. Pokies for sure...
Are you planning on wanting to handle the Tarantula? If so, OBTs are out and i think pokies are just not worth mentioning.
OBTs will spin a lot of web, but are very fast to throw up a threat posture (which can easily cause you to jump, knock the tank over etc) then bite, not always in that order. They're fast, too, but when feeding they probably wont leave their webbing.
Also, a standard footprint fishtank like that wont be suitable - these guys are generally arboreal and usually preffer to go web up and across, unless you find ones that burrows, in which case you'll need to fill that tank almost to the top, which wont really be suitable for both you and the T.
Cyclosternum fasciata aka Costa Rican Tiger Rump spins a fair amount of web, and arent particularly aggressive/defensive but are very fast.
Ive never had a GBB, so cant talk about their temperament, but obviously if you never plan to hold the them this isnt an issue, and they will definatly fill your enclosure with web, again though these guys like a little bit of height.
If you do want to keep the tank you have and use that, and you dont want to hold your T, i would suggest Ceratogyrus darlingii - these are terrestria, usually with a bit of attitudel, and will line everything in the enclosure with a smooth soft silky webbing, and rarely burrow, often preffering to just sit on their webbing. They get a decent size too.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think that they have such a bad rap cause they are baboons...name a baboon thats not psycho, and ill give you a free millipede, since nobody wants to trade me a sling for it.....

They can climb the sides, so they could run out any time you open the top. I got an OBT as my first tarantula as well, even though everyone warned me not to.
I treat it with respect, leave it alone, only open to feed/water it. The reason I got it as my first is because everyone said you just cant kill them, and you really cant lol. Mine webs all the time as well. But, most likely from my experiences, when you open the top, they wont run out, the will just go back and hide.
I think the OBT's have a way worse rep then they deserve, but thats just my opinion.

Stephen

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't personally recommend P. murinus as a first species.

i think that they have such a bad rap cause they are baboons...name a baboon thats not psycho, and ill give you a free millipede, since nobody wants to trade me a sling for it.....
E. pachypus, M. balfouri.

Octa

Arachnosquire
I would suggest getting a C.elegans.
Those guys are heavy webbers.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Have you any experience with other animals, such as reptiles?
If youre brand new to animals (or at least anyting with a good feeding response and small) i would avoid OBTs and Pokies. Pokies for sure...
Are you planning on wanting to handle the Tarantula? If so, OBTs are out and i think pokies are just not worth mentioning.
OBTs will spin a lot of web, but are very fast to throw up a threat posture (which can easily cause you to jump, knock the tank over etc) then bite, not always in that order. They're fast, too, but when feeding they probably wont leave their webbing.
Also, a standard footprint fishtank like that wont be suitable - these guys are generally arboreal and usually preffer to go web up and across, unless you find ones that burrows, in which case you'll need to fill that tank almost to the top, which wont really be suitable for both you and the T.
Cyclosternum fasciata aka Costa Rican Tiger Rump spins a fair amount of web, and arent particularly aggressive/defensive but are very fast.
Ive never had a GBB, so cant talk about their temperament, but obviously if you never plan to hold the them this isnt an issue, and they will definatly fill your enclosure with web, again though these guys like a little bit of height.
If you do want to keep the tank you have and use that, and you dont want to hold your T, i would suggest Ceratogyrus darlingii - these are terrestria, usually with a bit of attitudel, and will line everything in the enclosure with a smooth soft silky webbing, and rarely burrow, often preffering to just sit on their webbing. They get a decent size too.
Agreed with my good friend Mez here, OBT's can dash up the tank faster than you can react, mine is only 1'' so I caught her with my hand but try doing this to 4-5'' Adult and it is a completely different story.

I have a 1'' GBB Juvie too and they web loads and eat well, they raise their legs towards the sides if they don't like what they sense (But not in a defensive manner) and act like a slightly faster version of the Rose Hair, so this species should be perfect for you.

Mine has webbed up it's whole container and is really neat, they spend all their time on the web too.

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Stephen
That is just playing with fire imo.

You want a species that is hardy, start with a Rose Hair like I did... and do it by the book instead of chancing it.

You can handle Rose Hairs and they get much bigger than OBT's (had mine for 6-7 years and she is a shade under 7'')

All it takes is one stupid person to mess with the wrong type of T and the hobby gets a bad name.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I strongly suggest the Green Bottle Blue (GBB). They have beautiful blue legs, irridescent green carapace and orange rump. Just google ïmages" and you'll see alot of pics. They make heavy thick webs over most of their surroundings, but don't stay hidden like alot of big webbers. They come out in the open alot and make a good display T. Being from Venezuela desert area they can aclimate to most temps since the their natural habitat can be extremely hot and cold and don't need high humidity. That alone makes them pretty hardy. Avics and most of the tree spiders require stricter temp and humidity levels plus some can be VERY fast and unpredictable. I would REALLY recommend the GBB above all if is your first T. I'm positive you'd be happy with it.