Can someone please ID this for me?

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Hello
I just came across this very large guy (or gal) in the outside corner of my garage door. I have searched all over every site that lists all the species of spiders here in Massachusetts and I cannot find ANYTHING that looks like this. It was extremely agressive, as it came down towards me and raised it's legs when I was trying to move something to get the pictures. I would like to know more about it so I know how to identify it if I come across another one. I have NEVER seen another spider like this around here, and I live in an area where theres some outrageous stuff. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thank you so much.

Attachments

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Oh and to give you size reference, with legs included, it would have been about as large as my palm.

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Pisaurina mira
I saw one of those on one of the pages I was looking at but it didn't seem to fit the description or anything. This was not hairy at all (almost shiny) and no markings whatsoever, just very large and aggressive.
I just worry as I have a 9 month old and I want to know if one of these is in the house if it's something I need to be worried about immediately?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Looks preggo. That would explain the threat posture. So we are talking a leg span of ~3-4 inches?

@BionicShrimp You have the Black Widow, L Variolus, as the only dangerous spider in your area, and this is definitely not it.

But you are right. There is a definite hazard. Do your best to keep the little probable mom-to-be away from the attentions of the dangerous human baby.

@Biollantefan54 You have the shape right but I'm not seeing the hairy or setae of a Mira. Well, maybe I am. One tentative on Bug Guide is a dead ringer:

Bug Guide image. http://bugguide.net/node/view/1348839/bgimage

Last edited:

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Also, size wise, this thing would have had to have been an abnormally large nursery web spider because its body was almost 2 inches long.
And again, hairless. I'm just freaked out because it looks like some species of them but this was too big and too little of the qualities were the same. Just trying to give all the info I can.

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
@The Snark

Looking at the shape of this and after zooming in the picture it does appear that it could be a Nursery Web, however I'm still confused by the fact that there was ZERO hair on this and the lack of any distinct markings.

I don't mind some spiders, and like I said, we've got other big guys around here where I am, including a variation of the wolf spider and some rather large jumping spiders and I've run across other creepy crawly species of spider, but never seen anything like this.

The Snark

Old Timer
OP, have a look at the eyes. P Mira are quite distinctive.
Here's another version of P Mira. (Bug Guide)

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
@The Snark
Didn't get a clear view of its eyes but after looking at the photo it appears that the eyes have the size and shape qualities of said spider.
I'm going to go ahead and venture a guess to say it was one of them, and it just was larger than "average" as well as maybe just some different characteristics.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like a normal P. mira to me, a lot of the ones we have here are identical to that. They are harmless spiders

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Makes me feel better knowing it's not dangerous, especially with the little guy running around.

I don't really mind any of whats running around outside, but once it comes inside thats when I've got an issue, especially when its that big...haha.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's certainly a Pisaurina mira (nursery web spider).

The reason she looks shinier than usual is that her abdomen is swollen with eggs.

BionicShrimp

Arachnopeon
Will keep that in mind for the next time I come across one. Will probably move it away from my house though. Thats just too big for my liking, and I've owned a tarantula.
If I saw that in my bedroom or in my shower, I'd have a heart attack!!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I wish we had these in socal!!

the only pisaurids we have here are dolomedes triton and Tinus peregrinus

The Snark

Old Timer
We still have Olios giganteus
I refuse to acknowledge a spider that's name sounds like it would be Wallmart's economy tub of margarine. And anyway, that's just another model from the same factory, like Buick and Chevy, with delusions of grandeur.