Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Can someone Identify this spider?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Brachyfan, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Brachyfan

Brachyfan Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Hello

I found this spider on my car. The location is southern alberta. I have tried to id it using online resources and believe it could be Dolomedes species. I don't think it is lycosidae but could be. Anyone have an idea of what it is? I will most likely release it back into my yard but found it interesting and thought I would try to identify it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 20191016_045536.jpg

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    I think it may be Philodromidae.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brachyfan

Thanks for the response! You may be right. That is the closest I have seen so far. Kind of looks like a fishing spider but those live near water and I found it far away from the closest water source

4. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Do you have a photo of the eyes by any chance?

They can be found away from water. Your providence only has D. triton and scriptus by the looks of it. It is neither.

5. Brachyfan

I will try to get a picture a bit later.

6. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnodemon Active Member

Philodromid for sure.

7. Brachyfan

Should I keep it or release it? Soon it will be winter here.

8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

She might be gravid; if she is, she'll likely make her egg sac and then die when winter comes. (This is normal.)

9. Brachyfan

Good point. I will release the spider today!

10. Brachyfan

Just released her! Hope to have some little spiders for next year! Thanks to everyone who helped in the identification.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.