Can someone help me sex my spider?

4tec84

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My friend gave me this spider last week, im not sure if its male or female. I'm not sure of the age, but i'll ask him later. He said it has molted 5times and is close to 3". Also, can someone give me info. on how long this spider lives?
Thanks!

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's hard to tell from your pic, and even if the pic was better, the only way to be 100 % would be to sex a moult. It looks to me like you have a pokie. Its hard to tell from underneath, but you may have been given a P. metalica. That's a great gift !! Watch though they are FAST !

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the pic is a bit small to tell much of anything..
could be 1 of 2 species from the looks of it, and neither species is just given to someone that doesnt know about tarantulas. If its what I think it is you should trade it to me for 5 different tarantulas. I give you 5, you give me that one.. or Ill buy it! the easiest way to tell if its male or female is look at the bottoms of the two most front legs (the short ones) and see if you can see a small red ball near the tip of each leg. thats a male repro organ.. if they arent there, its a female. also, those two short legs will be club shapped if its a male. be careful around that T, it packs a very venomous bite. not a beginners T..

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you click on the picture it'll get bigger, but it is still kinda hard to see much. A little blurry, and still small.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh yeah, it gets alot bigger! thats a male (85% sure) it will die in 2 years time. only good for mating.. i will still buy/trade for it!! I have a female to mate him with and will give you a free sling for the effort.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
amazed

Im amazed that your friend has apparently given you what looks like a p. metallica, or otherwise known affectionately , for all the species, as pokies. This is not a beginners T, if you have had no prior experience with fast Ts with potential strong venom,, then your friend hasnt really done you a favor, since you lack the experience to care for this T safely.
And I wish I had a friend who would give me a p. metallica:D

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im amazed that your friend has apparently given you what looks like a p. metallica, or otherwise known affectionately , for all the species, as pokies. This is not a beginners T, if you have had no prior experience with fast Ts with potential strong venom,, then your friend hasnt really done you a favor, since you lack the experience to care for this T safely.
And I wish I had a friend who would give me a p. metallica:D
With research and respect any T can be a beginner T.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
true, but thats a male and will die in less than 2 years.. tough loss on a beginner.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
u guys are awful on here!ventral sexing poecies can be very difficult so theres no 100% id on the sex here.trying to scam this kid :embarrassed:
you should be ashamed of yourselves

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
u guys are awful on here!ventral sexing poecies can be very difficult so theres no 100% id on the sex here.trying to scam this kid :embarrassed:
you should be ashamed of yourselves

For the record : I was kidding ! I thought the smiley faces would asert that

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
.... they were blinded by the P.Metallica. get a hold of yourselves guys. a ROSIE for a metallica??! tsk tsk :embarrassed:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha well i figured if u were trying to trade for mushrooms:D

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am offering this kid an even deal on his MALE metallica, I PMed him and told him the worth, gave him a reference to check the worth, and offered him that worth in anyway (i.e. cash, trades, both) that he wanted it. this tarantula will die within the next two years and is ONLY good for mating. I have 13 poecilotherias, 2 of which are metallicas.. so dont accuse me of trying to scam this kid. oh, and how do I know its a male? take a look at that pic again, a bit closer at the pedapalps... notice the little butt chin indentation on them, the club shape of them? pokies do not have mistakable pedapalps.. its either slim and smooth, or round and fat. trust me.. im a breeder/seller/collector.. sorry to blow up. but i HATE being called dishonost!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I as well believe its male....... however, whatever happens sale trade wise is not the boards issue to decide..... if he wants to trade or tempt a trade via Pm then they can knock themselves out.
People like to act like people dont do any duping on here but it happens. Someone sells something that should be 10 bucks for 100 and the recieving party thinks hes getting a deal..... that sort of thing is just going to happen.

I dont think anyone was calling you dishonest directly per say.