Can someone help me identify this spider

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
I'd say totally safe; looks like a typical grass / American funnel web spider. Depending on where you're located, it might be a hobo spider, but even those are not believed to be dangerous as of late. It'll definitely stick to that web, unless the web itself is disturbed / destroyed. We had a big one living behind our toilet in Cincinnati; completely tame.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Harmless spider. Throw some crickets in the web. Enjoy some cheap entertainment. You’re more likely to get killed in a car crash than by lil spider bro.

Please Help Me

Arachnopeon
I'd say totally safe; looks like a typical grass / American funnel web spider. Depending on where you're located, it might be a hobo spider, but even those are not believed to be dangerous as of late. It'll definitely stick to that web, unless the web itself is disturbed / destroyed. We had a big one living behind our toilet in Cincinnati; completely tame.
I live in the suburbs outside Chicago if that helps. I really appreciate the response! I used to kill every spider all the time but now after living in the woods and being surrounded by disgusting bugs I have grown to respect them for helping with the bugs. I also like that they don’t seem to infest like ants or termites they seem to be here and there but not like 8000 of them so I like that.

Thank you for letting me know I’m safe with this guy around! I saw a documentary about black widows and brown recluses and now I think every big spider is going to bite me or my baby and we’re going to die. It helps me so much to have experts like you all to turn to to help me! Thank you so very much!!!

Please Help Me

Arachnopeon
Harmless spider. Throw some crickets in the web. Enjoy some cheap entertainment. You’re more likely to get killed in a car crash than by lil spider bro.
So true about the car accidents. I have always been so terrified of spiders but it’s slowly getting better. I have seen horrible things about the black widow and brown recluse which both terrify me beyond belief enough to the point that if I saw one in my house I’d full out move!

I have a baby boy too so I’m always worried about some super poisonous spider crawling into bed with him and biting him and so I really appreciate when you guys respond and help put me at ease!! I love that I can come to you guys with spider questions I have as it’s so hard for me to see them as harmless but I havea new respect for them that I never thought I’d have! You guys are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to reply!!

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
I live in the suburbs outside Chicago if that helps. I really appreciate the response! I used to kill every spider all the time but now after living in the woods and being surrounded by disgusting bugs I have grown to respect them for helping with the bugs. I also like that they don’t seem to infest like ants or termites they seem to be here and there but not like 8000 of them so I like that.

Thank you for letting me know I’m safe with this guy around! I saw a documentary about black widows and brown recluses and now I think every big spider is going to bite me or my baby and we’re going to die. It helps me so much to have experts like you all to turn to to help me! Thank you so very much!!!
Suburbs of Chicago, that spider should be perfectly safe. (The hobo's more in the Pacific Northwest and Great Basin areas, and, again, it doesn't seem to actually pose a threat either, but I know there had been some anecdotes.) Black widows are extremely easy to identify, and in general will keep to their webs as well; they'll generally be outside, at the base of a wall or the like, and are far more likely to flee than bite, in my own experience. Brown recluses are also pretty easy to identify, once you can identify the fiddle shape on their back.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
So true about the car accidents. I have always been so terrified of spiders but it’s slowly getting better. I have seen horrible things about the black widow and brown recluse which both terrify me beyond belief enough to the point that if I saw one in my house I’d full out move!

I have a baby boy too so I’m always worried about some super poisonous spider crawling into bed with him and biting him and so I really appreciate when you guys respond and help put me at ease!! I love that I can come to you guys with spider questions I have as it’s so hard for me to see them as harmless but I havea new respect for them that I never thought I’d have! You guys are amazing! Thank you for taking the time to reply!!
I'm really sorry that you have to live with that fear. It's miserable to be scared. Thanks for working through your fear and trying to educate yourself before panicking. Maybe by the time your baby is old enough to learn, you'll be able to teach him not to be afraid of spiders and to appreciate them instead.

Please Help Me

Arachnopeon
Suburbs of Chicago, that spider should be perfectly safe. (The hobo's more in the Pacific Northwest and Great Basin areas, and, again, it doesn't seem to actually pose a threat either, but I know there had been some anecdotes.) Black widows are extremely easy to identify, and in general will keep to their webs as well; they'll generally be outside, at the base of a wall or the like, and are far more likely to flee than bite, in my own experience. Brown recluses are also pretty easy to identify, once you can identify the fiddle shape on their back.

Omg thank you so much!!! You have experience with black widows?!?!?!?!Is there really a red spot on their backs? Just thinking of them makes me shake! Also I never knew a recluse had a fiddle in its back. That’s good to know! I had a first the other day. I was in the baby’s room and a huge daddy long leg (I know that’s probably not what they’re really called and I mean this ones body was massive) crawled out from under the crib and my instinct was to smash it but I saw it freeze in terror and I felt awful (never felt for a spider before) so I herded it into a mega block and ran it outside.

Please Help Me

Arachnopeon
I'm really sorry that you have to live with that fear. It's miserable to be scared. Thanks for working through your fear and trying to educate yourself before panicking. Maybe by the time your baby is old enough to learn, you'll be able to teach him not to be afraid of spiders and to appreciate them instead.
That’s sweet of you! Thank you and thanks to you all I actually am more afraid of the ants and things that swarm now. I really dislike bugs and I appreciate that the spiders are actually helping me byeating them! I wish I was brave enough to toss bugs in a web because I’d love to help the spider while in turn it’s helping me!

I appreciate this forum/board so much as it’s helped me a few times and I am learning so I will of course teach my son that they’re not as scary as they seem.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
That’s sweet of you! Thank you and thanks to you all I actually am more afraid of the ants and things that swarm now. I really dislike bugs and I appreciate that the spiders are actually helping me byeating them! I wish I was brave enough to toss bugs in a web because I’d love to help the spider while in turn it’s helping me!

I appreciate this forum/board so much as it’s helped me a few times and I am learning so I will of course teach my son that they’re not as scary as they seem.
Tbh feeding the spider would make it less eager to eat the wild insects in your home.

So it is perfectly fine.

Let nature run its course!

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
Omg thank you so much!!! You have experience with black widows?!?!?!?!Is there really a red spot on their backs? Just thinking of them makes me shake! Also I never knew a recluse had a fiddle in its back. That’s good to know! I had a first the other day. I was in the baby’s room and a huge daddy long leg (I know that’s probably not what they’re really called and I mean this ones body was massive) crawled out from under the crib and my instinct was to smash it but I saw it freeze in terror and I felt awful (never felt for a spider before) so I herded it into a mega block and ran it outside.
Oh yeah, black widows were everywhere in a city where I used to live, around central New Mexico; they're pretty prevalent around where I live and work now, too. It's definitely a respectful relationship; I've had to relocate them from poor location choices, but usually I just leave them alone if they aren't in the way. Pretty sure all North American species have the telltale red hourglass on the underside of their abdomen; they generally hang upside-down, so it's pretty easy to spot from above. It's also hard to mistake their body shape and classic thick, strong cobwebs.

You probably had an Opilione! (This is what's commonly known as a daddy long-legs, or a harvestman.) They aren't spiders at all, but rather an entirely separate order. They also don't possess any venom glands, and are avid hunters of common pest bugs. Always best to relocate them when you have to.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
1DDB2BA3-902B-4117-A38C-D8B791C1A0CD.jpeg 351D4998-860E-4B58-8D81-18F4FEE6CC06.jpeg
first is black widow. Second is brown recluse. Notice the distinct markings on both. Hourglass on widow, violin on recluse. I have experience with both. I’ll reassure you, they are pretty dang harmless. You basically have to be looking for them or really messing with them to get bit. I have tarantulas that put more “fear” or should I say “caution” into me when dealing with them, than the two above. A lot of the fear and misunderstanding of these lil buggers comes from the overhyped headlines you occasionally read about them in the media.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Chicago is out of range for recluse spiders. It is extremely unlikely for someone to see them there. Additionally, the widow spiders found there are mostly going to be L. variolus. This species has a separated hourglass that looks more like two bars or triangles.

Finally, it is inappropriate to tell a layperson that they can identify a recluse spider by the violin pattern. There are thousands of spiders that could have and most are not recluses.

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
Chicago is out of range for recluse spiders. It is extremely unlikely for someone to see them there. Additionally, the widow spiders found there are mostly going to be L. variolus. This species has a separated hourglass that looks more like two bars or triangles.

Finally, it is inappropriate to tell a layperson that they can identify a recluse spider by the violin pattern. There are thousands of spiders that could have and most are not recluses.
While I don't necessarily disagree, and certainly can't disagree with the point that there are many spiders that demonstrate the same marking, as a recovering arachnophobe myself, I know the feeling of seeing literally any brown spider and thinking it might be a brown recluse. To me, it's far better to narrow it down, especially if every potential encounter could spawn a fight-or-flight response.

I also didn't know Chicago was out of range; we had them in Cincinnati, but I guess there's a big enough difference. (Of course, we had L. mactans in Cinci as well, which I was also pretty sure wasn't in Chi-town, so.)