can someone clear this up for me?

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i haven't been on the boards in a long time, i feel terrible! but i've been busy with summer school and vacations.
i'm actually in texas for arachnocon right now and i had a question about one of the new tarantulas i just bought.

i don't know anything about Avicularia species, i've had an A. versicolor s'ling for a few months now but thats all. i wanted to get a new avic so i found one i liked at the expo and bought it.. the only thing is i can't find out any info on it. i'm not sure if its a wrong id or what.

its an unsexed sub-adult that was sold to me as Avicularia sp. "purple amazonica" and it was wild-caught. i can find info on avic "amazonica" and some peruvian avic but nothing on the spiders givin id.
here are some pictures..

any guesses on a more solid id?

also.. i didn't notice his leg was messed up until i got him back here, could this be a problem or will it just grow back with its next moult?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's possible that it's a very premoult bicegoi (according to Shadowblade who's standing over my shoulder) but a more accurate ID will be easier to make after it moults. It shouldn't be too long.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's possible that it's a very premoult bicegoi (according to Shadowblade who's standing over my shoulder) but a more accurate ID will be easier to make after it moults. It shouldn't be too long.
i've wanted one of those so that would be good, i probably should have figure it out while i was still there!
i'll post more pictures after it moults.
i'll see you guys at the pizza party tonight

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that injury w/leg should clear up after a molt or 2 i have a chiliobrachys sp.(all black) and she had the same injury,after she molted it gone like it never happend,yeah, that avic looks like a bicegoi,but i'm not definite on that,avics can be alittle tricky. nice 1 by the way.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the help guys, i'll post a picture after the little guy moults to see if its easier to id then.. and i'll get some pictures in differnt lighting too.
i'm happy with it no matter what it is! its a beautiful little spider

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I just noticed you bought this specimen from Southern Spider Works. If it was sold to you as Sp. 'Purple Amazonica' I'd label it "Peruvian Purple" and leave it be. No chance for ID'ing without much better taxonomists.

Remember, the entire genus Avicularia is totally messed up. You probably won't find out for quite awhile.

-Sean

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just noticed you bought this specimen from Southern Spider Works. If it was sold to you as Sp. 'Purple Amazonica' I'd label it "Peruvian Purple" and leave it be. No chance for ID'ing without much better taxonomists.

Remember, the entire genus Avicularia is totally messed up. You probably won't find out for quite awhile.

-Sean
thanks a lot.. i came across "peruvian purple" when i was trying to figure out what it was. a mysterious spider doesn't bother me, i was looking for a cute t and i got one