Can skinny emp scorplings molt?

Tuj97

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum and I have questions about my emperor scorpling I bought five days ago.

1. Do scorplings prefer crickets over mealworm? Cuz all I have is mealworm and it seems like my scorpling is not eager to eat any worms.

2. It has changed darker in colour since I bought it but it hasn't eaten anything yet and therefore it is very skinny in the abdomen. I know that scorpions molt when they are fat, staying under the shelter for like forever, and refusing to eat. Is my scorpling in a pre-molt stage or is there something wrong with him?

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
honestly whatever food they can find they should eat. it might not be getting their attention or they might just not want to eat.

its always possible a scorpling is not doing well and is molting without the right prep. but if its an older scorp id be surprised if thats the case. photos of both the scorp and the food youre using might help shed some light on the issues

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an AFS scorpling, diff species but basically same care. Sometimes he just refuses to eat live prey and I have to prekill crickets to get him to eat.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Emperor is not the easiest and you can try a variety of food. Sometimes prekilled, sometimes they get triggered by nervous crickets, sometimes slower prey, most of the time juveniles prefer smaller food or prekilled as mentioned.

Anyhow, once he got a tunnel built, they get more confident. First you want to make sure humidity and a burrow is sorted. To that point, try prekilled.

Skinny he should not try to molt. I think this is more stress related rather than premolt.

MallShoggoth

Arachnosquire
Honestly if you just got your scorp 5 days ago I would assume it's just not settled/confident enough in its new environment to be ready to eat.
Also based on your description (skinny abdoment + change in colour) I would think it has molted not long before you bought it. Can you ask the seller if that was the case?

MallShoggoth

Arachnosquire
Also pictures of the scorpion and the enclosure would help to see if there's anything wrong with your setup.

Chief101

Arachnosquire
Just wait a few days and make sure everything is settled and dont stress him/her out by checking on it 24/7, try some other food or pre killed. Dont worry to much it probably just molted and moved to a new enviroment so its not comfortable yet.