Can scorpions climb glass???

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah its really better to have lids on enclosures even if the scorps cannot climb glass because sometimes unexpected thing can occur. I learned this in a hard way, its better safe than sorry.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think I could sleep at night without a lid on top of the c. sculpt enclosure. Sure they can't climb glass, but I tell you the littlest piece of sand they can grasp to, calcium buildup on glass, silicon on the sides. I had one in a clean, clear mason jar in the garage and it disappeared over night. I can't imagine what it got a hold, the only thing I can think of is dust that I couldn't even see...

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that would be a molt stuck to the side of a delicup
where a 3rd instar C. gracilis molted....
you can see the now 4th instar scorpion in the background on a lil climb...

i can only assume it was able to climb the waterdroplets and that those droplets were somehow able to hold the weight during ecdysis
You generally cant climb water, so probably not the droplets themselves. My guess would be residual mineral deposits left by prior water droplets evaporating or imperfections in the plastic bowl's surface that are small enough to be difficult to see, but large enough for the little scorps toes (yes, I'm aware that scorpions dont have toes:}).

My first scorp was a juvenile male B. jacksoni and within three days not only had he scaled the silicone but also pushed open the metal screen lid and freed
himself.
How large was that tank Mr Awesome? I've got a 15 gallon tank with 3 H. Spadix in it (yes, living dangerously I suppose, but I've seen no incidents with many interactions to date) with a standard metal mesh and hills that are high enough for them to reach the lid on their tippy tail. They've never been able to move the lid at all. Should I be worried? each one of them is larger than a juvie B. jacksoni.

I have a question since its kind of the topic of climbing. I just bought an Emperor and almost once a Day he will try to climb the glass walls of his tank. is this normal behavior?
Hey Gojira, yes. All sorts of normal. It'll happen a while till the emp gets settled into a burrow. Mine still does it once in a while and I've had her for months.

Last edited: