Can Poecilotheria successfully double clutch and produce a successful sack?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The title pretty much says everything... But here is the background.

My P.subfusca yielded me a successful 30 2nd instar spideys a couple months ago. In doing some research, it sounds like many poecilotheria lay their eggsack and then molt pretty quickly after, so the cycle can be repeated. Well, my subfusca just hasn't let go of her skin for nothing!!!! Well, I pulled her out last night and got her into a clear hobby cube, she is absolutely GRAVID and HUGE again and candling brighter yellow than the sun!

What i'm trying to assess... Is there a realistic chance she could yield me a 2nd viable sack?

Joe - CAK

Added:
I did some searching and found tons on OBT's, but nothing on Poec.

Last edited:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not quite sure what you're stating here. Has your female moulted since the first sac? If so there's no chance of a 2nd sac as the spermatheca is discarded on moulting.
However, if it hasnt moulted there's a slim chance it could produce a 2nd sac. Its rare, to my knowledge, but it can happen.

I believe Ron Baxter suggested that this was possible through multiple matings.

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry pox, I worded that poorly. She has NOT molted yet since the successful (but small) eggsack. She is much larger than she was the first go around too and still eating like King Kong.

I guess there is always hoping!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am no expert by any means but if you candled her and got bright yellow without mating her since her first sac than I would certainly say it is possible for them to double clutch. Good luck!

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I'm sure I saw a thread where Robc got a successful double clutch sac from a pokie. I don't have time to look at the moment, but if nobody else has chimed in by the time I get off work, I'll see if I can find it. :)

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am no expert by any means but if you candled her and got bright yellow without mating her since her first sac than I would certainly say it is possible for them to double clutch. Good luck!
My guess... The first sack gave me 30 healthy 2i spiderlings. Maybe she had some left over love butter and thought she should put it to good use and start cranking out eggs.

Hope all goes well! She is proven, so at least that is on my side!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure I saw a thread where Robc got a successful double clutch sac from a pokie. I don't have time to look at the moment, but if nobody else has chimed in by the time I get off work, I'll see if I can find it. :)
Didn't find the thread here but a quick use of the almighty Google pulled up a video of one of his regalis double clutching so I will amend my previous post here and say that yes, pokies can double clutch.

My guess... The first sack gave me 30 healthy 2i spiderlings. Maybe she had some left over love butter and thought she should put it to good use and start cranking out eggs.

Hope all goes well! She is proven, so at least that is on my side!
Darn you! She was making you a nice little new year's present and you had to go and (hopefully) ruin the surprise.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think that was a P.irminia, not a pokie.
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but it looks like you'll find out soon either way.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The search on vBulletin sites is horrible.

Go to google then to advanced search.

Type in your terms "Poecilotheria+double+clutch" and then the URL "arachnoboards.com"

You find these posts from 2005:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=42088

There are more, but MY post isn't about clobbering Joe with old posts, but how to find information quickly and even if the site is down. Very often the archives are up (no pics) or google has archives you can read.

The highest value from AB is it's ENORMOUS information loads, all hiding like veins of gold in a mountain.