can millies be mixed?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I was hoping to have a varied collection of millies, and was wondering if there would be any aggression probs or inbreeding? I have the following, in seperate containers:
Desert Yellows
African Giant Black.
What species can be kept with each?
Thank you...
Peace,
Gillian

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Millie living arrangements~:0)

I have 4 different millies living together.
There have not been any fights or other problems.
They seem to really like each other:}
The only problem you could have is hybrid babies
that will be sterile, or may not even live.:p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agression probably isn't an issue, but some millipedes may secrete defensive toxins that may be bothersome to pedes of other species. I say "may" because I'm not sure it would really be a problem.

Crossbreeding is not very likley. You'd have to have species that were pretty closely related in the first place for it to be possible, and most of the pedes in the trade come from different genera. It's not like with tarantulas where we have many representatives of certain genera available.

If any of the pedes do reproduce, you might have a hard time telling who the parents were. Most millipedes look like tiny white maggots (with legs) when they first hatch, so you'll have to let them grow a bit to figure out what they are.

Many people do keep different species together successfully, but you want to be sure all are comfortable in simmilar type environments. I probably would not mix AGB's and desert millis, for example.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

Many people do keep different species together successfully, but you want to be sure all are comfortable in simmilar type environments. I probably would not mix AGB's and desert millis, for example.

Wade
Thanks, Wade. So then, my plan is to make sure they all have similar environmental needs..
Peace,
Gillian