Can jumping spiders create trapdoors?

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was outside the other day looking at little critters, when i noticed a small cut like flap thing on the tarp that was covering my go kart. i looked closer and saw a small beetle walk past and wam! spider flashed out and captured it. but then my dad had to fix the go kart so he moved the tarp (much to my protesting) and i saw what looked like a small black jumping spider in a hole. he pounced around for a few seconds. i also had a black jumping spider that looked exactly like it before, never made a trap door.
he dashed back in the hole though and i was left wondering if they can actually make trapdoors?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A lot of jumping spiders construct silken retreats with a pair of flaps at the entrance. For the past couple of weeks I've been watching an adult female jumper in my yard, a Phidippus borealis, that has such a retreat and I managed to get some pictures so you can have an idea of it. I often find her sitting outside the entrance where she is in a good position to go after passing insects. I think she stays close to home because she's either about to lay eggs, or has already.

This particular spider backed into her retreat after I spooked it with a couple of pictures. From the last picture you can see how she is able to close the flaps behind her.

Attachments

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, great photos Jsloan! I can vouch for that, they make heavy use of their front tarsal claws to close their retreats. Whenever I went to investigate the difference in temperment of the mother spiders protecting eggsacs, typically the first response would be to "shut" the entrance off by tugging on the silk above them.

I have seen the same hunting behavior too. The females just sit outside the door and wait for the crickets to come passing by. I think it's the sort of tactic used by older females, as my younger Phids don't really do this. Just my 1 1/2 year olds. I'm sure they just do whatever is convenient at the time, though.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, great photos Jsloan! I can vouch for that, they make heavy use of their front tarsal claws to close their retreats. Whenever I went to investigate the difference in temperment of the mother spiders protecting eggsacs, typically the first response would be to "shut" the entrance off by tugging on the silk above them.
I noticed the same thing with my 2 mother P.johnsoni! I used my tweezers to peek in the nest every once in a while to see how they've progressed and she shut me off! So cute! First time I got a really good look at Phidippus fangs as well. :)

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, haha. Zerg! I think its rediculously cute how they pull their palps to the side to reveal the chelicerae and fangs. I kind of liken it to how a cat pulls it's ears back, or a dog curls its lips. It is an extreme gesture.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was peeking through a jumping spiders nest, and she ran up my hand and bit me on the skin between my fingers. They got strong jaws for such lil fellas.

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
I noticed the same thing with my 2 mother P.johnsoni! I used my tweezers to peek in the nest every once in a while to see how they've progressed and she shut me off! So cute! First time I got a really good look at Phidippus fangs as well. :)
i bet it's cute its kind of like a little kid shutting a door on you when there frustrated lol, they just kinda pull it down like there throwing a tantrum cause your looking at them lol.

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my jumping spider has tunnels all through the glass jar i gave him to stay in. hes lived for a good two years now! everytime i open the top he turns around and looks at me like hes ready to pounce its really cute :D