Can I release a wolf spider after a few months in captivity?

Charc16

Arachnopeon
Hi all! I've got a question for you guys.

I've had this wolf spider, a big female Tigrosa Helluo, for a few months now. I have been thinking of releasing her for a while now, but I'm afraid I may have waited too long. For one thing, it winter here. I found her coming into our house in the fall. I was planning on keeping her over winter, (if they can live that long, she was an adult when I found her.) and then releasing her in the spring. But I wanted to check and make sure first, is that okay? Do you think she can/has adapted to captivity so much that she can't live on her own anymore? Or is it okay to release her after a few months in captivity?

Also, right now there is no snow on the ground, and for the next three days the weather forecast is in the mid forties. Is it possible/Would it be better to release her now?

Thanks so much in advance!

TeaandTs

Arachnopeon
Spiders, even captive bred spiders, are not domesticated animals. So especially given this is a wild caught mature specimen, it would certainly be okay to release her. Her short time in captivity hasn't erased her instincts. So the answer to that question is yes. She'll be fine in the wild. :)

As to whether this is a good time to release her, bit more tricky. I did some research and wasn't able to find anything on whether they hibernate in the winter or what kind of temperatures they can withstand. If you can wait until spring, that might give her a better chance. At the very least, there will be more prey available. If you're in a hurry to release her right now, do you have a shed or garage or somewhere that might give her some slight shelter from the cold? That might increase her chances. I'll be interested to see what other people post, because there isn't much out there on the net regarding the activities of these spiders.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I always thought it was bad to re-release captive animals after they have been caught. Pathogens from captive feeders etc can be risky. Maybe I'm being over paranoid, but that's what I've always heard.

Later, Tom

yjh

Arachnopeon
I always thought it was bad to re-release captive animals after they have been caught. Pathogens from captive feeders etc can be risky. Maybe I'm being over paranoid, but that's what I've always heard.

Later, Tom
Hey Philth,

Sorry to bother you but you were recommended because I am searching for heteropoda Boiei, was wondering if you had any for sale?