Can i re-use old cocofiber?

ResuemJuli

Arachnopeon
I had a T.Albopilosum, that died unfortunately last year and i am getting a new T now.
I want to use the same Terrarium.
Do i have to change out the old Cocofiber because of her hairs or something.
Will it affect my new Tarantula in any way?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Gonna say I have to agree with @moricollins. In theory I guess you could take the upper layer of the substrate away (assuming the aforementioned tarantula didn't burrow) and just use the relatively clean bottom layer if you had to, but if you have extra coco fiber I would just change it out and add the new stuff.

That said, I have reused coco fiber for other creatures such as roaches and isopods, though they don't have any webbing or defensive urticating bristles that might pose a problem.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
When cleaning out an old enclosure for a new T, I pull out any old sheet webbing, and spot-clean poop and boluses, but I don't change the coco fiber. There would have to be a big problem for me to do so (widespread mold, heavy infestation of something, etc.)

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a T.Albopilosum, that died unfortunately last year and i am getting a new T now.
I want to use the same Terrarium.
Do i have to change out the old Cocofiber because of her hairs or something.
Will it affect my new Tarantula in any way?
You can re-use it without any problems. There are no cons with re-use substrate. It is cheaper than to buy new substrate too

quirinus

Arachnoknight
in case it was a sudden and unexplainable death of the albo, i wouldn't reuse the substrate and i'd shower the enclosure with warm water. as said by @moricollins, better safe than sorry..

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Substrate is reusable under certain conditions, which I reuse substrate sometimes and all my T.'s on reused substrate does very well with it. But if something had died unexpectedly then it's a much better and safer call to get a new batch of substrate.

Tarantula Space

Arachnopeon
Actually reusing it is no problem at all, just remember to pour boiling water on it and let the water evaporate before using it again. That way you can kill any molds/things that may be bad for your pets.

Happy keeping!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Given that none of us (myself included) know WHY the previous tarantula died, I find it funny (not haha funny) that people are still recommending that the op reuse the substrate.

For all any of us know there was a chemical spill in the substrate that caused the previous death...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I usually change it, but a few times when the store was out, I had to reuse for a bit. No issues IME

Given that none of us (myself included) know WHY the previous tarantula died, I find it funny (not haha funny) that people are still recommending that the op reuse the substrate.

For all any of us know there was a chemical spill in the substrate that caused the previous death...
Throw caution to the wind ! :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantula Space

Arachnopeon

Thats why I recommend pouring boiling waterand letting it evaporate under the sun before reusing

GreenTip

Arachnopeon
Actually reusing it is no problem at all, just remember to pour boiling water on it and let the water evaporate before using it again. That way you can kill any molds/things that may be bad for your pets.

Happy keeping!
Why not cover it with food film and microwave it for a bit? No waiting for it to dry! :rofl:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I'm going to throw out this: In my opinion, it is possible to re-use substrate *if* it has mostly been kept dry and has no noticeable smell or mold, and you're using it for another spider (i.e. not a reptile or something else that would be affected by the urticating hair).

Substrate that has been moist for long periods of time likely has had anaerobic bacteria floating around in it, and its likely better to toss that stuff.

Tarantula Space

Arachnopeon
Why not cover it with food film and microwave it for a bit? No waiting for it to dry! :rofl:
Actually in our country it's quite hot so waiting for it to dry won't be a problem, it will only take a couple of days, maybe 3 not much longer.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most substrate contains mites of some form. Most of them is harmless. The mites that in 99% of the case popping up in terrarium are harmless mites

Ian14

Arachnobaron
It's such a cheap substrate, why risk reusing it. Unless you know 100% why your T died, and that reason has nothing to do with the substrate, just bin it or use in a flower bed, and get new fresh substrate.