Can I Keep Fireflies?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have this idea...

ill be keeping fireflies from now on and if i can make out about a hundred or 3 of them and then once i complete a hundred of them ill be sending out them loose on the garden... and go enjoy my bug keeping, then take vids, pics, post on the web and then allow persons to enter my house to watch it live, then they pay me... LOL!!! seriously, can i keep fireflies on captivity?

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
another post...

larvae eat earthworms, we got earthworm farm here on PH so feeding would be easy (worms are added on hotdogs to make it nutritious)

i can find them on cool places, look at rivers if im on asia.... yes im asian...

now my problem is...

how the hell can i know when would they show out? and what sp does we got here on PH? my problem is that i dont even know how small or what does the females, larvaes and males look like here on PH...

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I considered raising some fireflies if only to release them in this area. I used to see them every now and then, and now... nothing, ever. I never did look into it though.
I'd like to see some info if anyone has any.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive heard that they only live at non polluted areas...

so maybe keeping out a few on a tank would do?

i havnt yet seen any fireflies on my life and thats why i want to keep some...

dont mind my post. its just and exageration

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
http://delta-intkey.com/elateria/www/lampo.htm

heres what i only found...

Ototretadrilinae is the only sp that has been ID to be existing on PH that i found on the net...

and it is microscopic... T_T
http://delta-intkey.com/elateria/images/pototre1.jpg

General appearance. Total length 5.5–6.5 mm. Ratio of body length to greatest body width 2.57–2.88. Body slightly flattened to moderately convex. Sides of body not evenly curved. Body not capable of conglobation (rolling into a ball). Upper surfaces of body clothed with distinct hairs, setae or scales. Vestiture of upper surfaces not including stiff, erect, dark bristles; not including scales or scale-like setae. Upper surfaces of body without deep foveae. Prothorax, metathorax and-or abdomen without extrusible glands. Underside of body without hydrofuge surface(s).

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ill gonna try look for these... but if i cant... maybe importation will help me... :p

so any one? who much do ya want for plenty of males, females, and early instars???

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
6 posts and still none?
I dont know what you want. I have never heard of anyone raising them. Where i grew up there still some around but not like it used to be, when i was a kid your car would glow in the dark after a trip at night from the fireflys splattered all over them. now you only see a few here and there.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very few people (if any) have raised fireflies for a full life cycle, you are basically on your own dude, blaze a trail for others too follow. :)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive seen some video on youtube, those fireflys are way large, about an inch or so? and there are plenty on their place, its on US btw, so i would like to import if i cant find any here...

about here on Philippines, i had found someone who can hunt them down... but he can only find males not females or larvae... and that is absolutely imposible if ill go breeding them...

T_T

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
quick reply

i dont want this thread to go to page2! ;P

http://www.lesinsectesduquebec.com/insecta/24-coleoptera/pyractomena_angulata.htm

i want that one too... dont mind that damn sound, that website wasnt mine...
;P

or any US sp. ill pay thru western union...

and im serious...

i already made a tank for them, a 10gal tank w/ deep susbtrate, LED lightset-up 1 tall plant, 1 plant w/ wide leaves, and a susbtrate full of dead leaves and plenty of earthies... the humidity inside is high and its cool there.

i also want to know how many eggs do a female lay.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
illinois has a ton of them

i can't give any data other than my kid fills jars with them on a daily basis.They are plentiful outside of chicago.and i can't see it having low pollution here.wish i could help ya
andy

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
quick reply

i dont want this thread to go to page2! ;P

http://www.lesinsectesduquebec.com/insecta/24-coleoptera/pyractomena_angulata.htm

i want that one too... dont mind that damn sound, that website wasnt mine...
;P

or any US sp. ill pay thru western union...

and im serious...

i already made a tank for them, a 10gal tank w/ deep susbtrate, LED lightset-up 1 tall plant, 1 plant w/ wide leaves, and a susbtrate full of dead leaves and plenty of earthies... the humidity inside is high and its cool there.

i also want to know how many eggs do a female lay.

I don't think the USA species eat earthworms, though I know some are snail eaters, other fireflies are aquatic when babies...

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think the USA species eat earthworms, though I know some are snail eaters, other fireflies are aquatic when babies...
ok, ill make another set-up, no problem for that :p :b

i have access to snails too, feeders used for some fishes.

i want to know of course the sp. and where did ya get it. then i can make a good set-up, my problem is where the earth can i get some :(

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
quick reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly
Photuris lucicrescens

i want any fireflies...

can any one give me a link to all Philippine firefly sp? or any asian firefly that exists on Philippines. pleasssssssssseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

i want to keep one because i think i can help out the firefly reputation that is dropping, and fireflies here on Ph are dropping dead due to climate changes, and crowding, now firies are found only on deep jungles... just imagine how you would be glad if a boardmemeber got a successful captive bred firefly.. :p
a link i found
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index.php?qid=20070622060819AAmkZ1c

Last edited:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Visit Donsol, Bicol.

Besides whale shark watching, I read somewhere that they already included a river cruise at dusk where you can view thousands of fireflies.

I still see some occasional fireflies in my garden. BTW, the larva looks similar to a silverfish. I see them in rotting wood. I will try to find one and post some pictures.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
please give them to me... i beg you... :worship:

i cant go to donsol by now... im on the other side of the philippines. LOL!

:D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
someone Pm me on our local forum, he said that he have some, its about the size of a termite... now what sp can be that... any info or links?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're looking in the right direction, you'll probably have better luck with Asian/indopacific species. Rearing of fireflies is something like the "Holy Grail" in the butterfly house/insect zoo community, and what little success there has been has been with Asian species. The large North American ones (I was out catching them with my doughter last night, actually. We released them later, and no I won't ship them anywhere!) have defied nearly all attempts at culture. I saw a talk and read a paper on this at a conference of zookeepers a few years back. I forget the details, but in the end despite major efforts and meticulous attention to detail, the projects were unsuccessful.

Wade