can i keep a adult terrestrial T in a Exo-terra Large Cricket Keeper

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
gooty sp?
Gooty?? Do you mean Poecilotheria metallica (Gooty Sapphire Ornamental)? If so, you got a lot of research to do man. P. metallica is an advanced species. It is not a terrestrial species. It is very far from good beginner species. It is very, very quick and its venom (and all the species in Poecilotheria) is one of the most severe.

obie

Arachnosquire
Just out of curiosity why would you choose a cricket keeper instead of just a regular one that same size.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
P.metallica is arboreal, so no, you can't keep it in a KK.
If you have to ask about the right housing, and not knowing about them, I think you need to study the species a bit more. P.metallica is an advanced species due to their speed, potent venom and defensiveness/skittish behaviour.
Make sure to read the bite reports as well so you'll know what you're up against.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You can keep large terrestrial crickets in there.
Or start out with a beginner-friendly Brachypelma instead of a P.metallica...

Terrestrial crickets....:rofl:
You mean those buggers come in an arboreal version too?x:eek::p

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Can you?.... yes

should you?.... no

P.metallica is a very gorgeous and respected spider, please treat it with respect give it a beautiful home. If you have the money for a P.metallica, you have to money to set it up in something nice.

If you are new to the hobby, this T is better left alone. Look don't touch. Stay calm when working with it, make sure you have plenty of space when working with the spider, do not harass the spider and you will be fine.

You can handle if you want but, these are wild animals no matter how "tame" it is. If this T bites, you will end up in a hospital. Most likely though you are just going to end up with a very expensive dead pet.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Hospital is unlikely from a p metallica bite. It will hurt. But as long as your over 12 and under 60 and in generally good health you wont be dying from a pokie bite. You still should start out with a beginner's species before attempting to raise one. And that cricket keeper is not acceptable for an arboreal spider like p metallica.

cold blood

Staff member
You can keep large terrestrial crickets in there.
Hospital is unlikely from a p metallica bite. It will hurt. But as long as your over 12 and under 60 and in generally good health you wont be dying from a pokie bite. You still should start out with a beginner's species before attempting to raise one. And that cricket keeper is not acceptable for an arboreal spider like p metallica.
Dying, no, but no one claimed that either...but ending up in the er as a result of a bite is a real possibility.

cold blood

Staff member
Also, until a pokie is an adult, its just fine to house them pretty much terrestrially. Aside from avics, i house most juvie arboreals basically terrestrially, but with more room than i would a comparable terrestrial.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
All depends on the amount of venom pumped into the bite, where the person was bitten, and how the person reacts to the venom.

Anyone else get the feeling this is a troll post by the OP?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Dying, no, but no one claimed that either...but ending up in the er as a result of a bite is a real possibility.
Why would you go? Because i wouldnt. I went to the hospital after a latrodectus bite. And was sent home. I just dont think i personally would go for a bite from a p metallica. After having that experience. Before everyone jumps in. I had the dead latro that i killed after it bit me for ID purposes and i was definitely invenomated and felt decent pain and nausea but the doctors sent me home from boise idaho hospital. Told me to come back if i had an increase on my fever. What im saying is a latro is actually recorded killing a human and no tarantula is. I guess i dont see the problem with going for a t bite just dont know why you would bother if it wasnt life threatening anyway

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I dont need an ER unless im dying.
I went to the ER when I broke my wrist, and I wasn't dying when it happened.

I really feel it depends largely on how much venom is pumped, the body's reaction to the venom, etc. etc.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I went to the ER when I broke my wrist, and I wasn't dying when it happened.

I really feel it depends largely on how much venom is pumped, the body's reaction to the venom, etc. etc.
The goddess is known to snap wrists. Jk
I know of non life threatening visits to the ER. I ride dirtbikes and ive been over the bars and put my left ulna bone through my skin just behind my wrist.

But we are talking about spiders here.