Can I feed shrimp bottom feeder pellets to my pet mud dauber wasp?

buggirl1990

Arachnopeon
I caught a mud dauber and wonder what could I feed him so I fed mushy shrimp pellets, will it eat it? He is a black and yellow mud dauber.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest offering him (or her?) fresh fruit. Adult mud daubers, like many other wasps, feed on flower nectar and fruit juice, though they catch and paralyze spiders to provision nests for their carnivorous larvae. I've never kept mud daubers but I have kept Pepsini and Mutillidae and both do well on sliced grapes and oranges. Slice the fruit open to give them access to the juice and change it every day or two so it doesn't dry up or get moldy.

buggirl1990

Arachnopeon
Oh thank you! I heard they wasps were attracted to trash so that's why I fed him that.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh thank you! I heard they wasps were attracted to trash so that's why I fed him that.
Yellow jackets will eat human food, particularly sugary foods and meat, so are frequently found buzzing around trash cans, picnics, and other places where food is readily available. I wouldn't be surprised if yellow jackets would eat those feeder pellets.