Can i cross breed pokie species?

renryu

Arachnopeon
Can i croos breed my pokie specimens? Example: regalis/ formosa, or metallica/miranda?

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sure it could be done, but why would you ever want to do such a thing?

terrible idea and really frowned upon.

renryu

Arachnopeon
curious

I would like to see the outcome maybe a even better looking hybrid.:clap:

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
then what are you going to do with 100 spiderlings that no one wants?

renryu

Arachnopeon
keep them/offer them for trade.
I will see what they look like when they mature.
I know it seems stupid but all these species must have crossed mated at sometime in the wild thats why they look different.
I mean with snakes hybrids are gorgeous, I just want to see if the samething can be accomplished with already pretty spider species.
It can transform the hobby.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah why would you want to do that???i guess to each their own, but why spoil a good thing...besides none wanting them, they are sterile and they don't usually live as long...not to mention the risk to your original parents not taking to each other and one becoming lunch:wall:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd suggest doing some research on cross-breeding and its consequences before you attempt to do anything. There are more threads than you will ever be able to read on here.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have to ask the experts, why are hybrids sterile? Common do the research, you will learn something.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know it seems stupid but all these species must have crossed mated at sometime in the wild thats why they look different.
What? No..... That is so wrong it isn't even funny. They all had a common ancestor and diverged over time into different species. Evolution by natural selection causes different coloration and patterning between species in most cases, very rarely is it caused by hybridization. Also, competition is most fierce amongst closley related animals; this causes species that look and act the same to be driven apart...different coloration and patterning could be a result.

why are hybrids sterile?
Sterilitly is common in hybrids because the number of chromosomes dosen't always match and so when meiosis (cell division resulting in 4 cells with half the usual number of chromosomes) is complete the gametes (sperm and eggs) aren't correctly formed.

However, not all hybrids are sterile. This is especially common in members of the same genus. Hybridization of species in the same genus is called interspecific hybrids.

Sometimes hybridization causes the rise of new species. This is extremely common in fungi, common in plants, but occured in invertebrates in the case of the Lonicera fly.

To voice an opinion, breed the species, leave the crossbreeding alone.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do it! Let us know what the outcome is. A lot of people are against it, but I think it would be interesting. I saw a p. cambridgei/p. irminia hybrid that was pretty neat looking.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
poecilotheria species have been cross bred before but if u do decide to this im gonna say dont just give them away.by doing this u will pollute the hobby and mess alot of stuff up.have u ever even bred poecilotheria before?if not then good luck trying to get to different sp to breed together and produce a sac lol

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good you are learning, now what is a species? if you are going to breed them then you should know what it is.
thedarkfinder
I am learning? And who is teaching me? You!?!

I have already learned this material. It is way under my belt. I think I am teaching you and doubt your handle on this material. I am aware of many different definitions of a species, how about YOU give your best one. Then we'll see who is teaching who. Just because you ask a question and I answer does not mean you have just taught me anything, don't be so naive and self-righteous.

Eric

Last edited:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to see the outcome maybe a even better looking hybrid.:clap:
Can i croos breed my pokie specimens? Example: regalis/ formosa, or metallica/miranda?

Well, it seems like you have already made up your mind. Please do a search on the subject. the reasons why hybridization is bad is pretty clearly spelled out. Further the majority of the people on this site are in it for the love of the critters and not to create a better looking hybrid. If thats what you are in it for, you need to really reconsider why you keep T's.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am learning? And who is teaching me? You!?!

I have already learned this material. It is way under my belt. I think I am teaching you and doubt your handle on this material. I am aware of many different definitions of a species, how about YOU give your best one. Then we'll see who is teaching who. Just because you ask a question and I answer does not mean you have just taught me anything, don't be so naive and self-righteous.

Eric
you are teaching your self if I was teaching you then I will tell you what you need to know. as for a species. It is very easy for me to get up and open a book and type word for word. But it will not help them understand.

As for self righteous... I would ask that of you with your last comment. PS I was not asking you but every one.

So you are the self righteous one that thinks the world rotates around you.

thedarkfinder.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hmmm .... not too sure that I am liking where this is going. :embarrassed:

I think you both need to quit squabbling and realize that you are both on the same side, for Pete's sake. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I am coming with a kind suggestion to keep things clean in here or I will end the thread and be done with it.

Debby

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While we're on the topic of learning...hasn't anyone learned not to get bent out of shape in a "x-breeding" thread? Most of us (definitely me) have seen this bickerfest adnauseum. And most have heard the monotonous warning;

Keep the discussion civil. If you cannot offer your opinion in a less than defensive manner, don't bother replying.

Thanks.

@ renryu, I would recommend you run a search of the T boards on the topic. As alread stated, you'll find more than you'll ever wish to read on it.

Gary

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm .... not too sure that I am liking where this is going. :embarrassed:

I think you both need to quit squabbling and realize that you are both on the same side, for Pete's sake. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I am coming with a kind suggestion to keep things clean in here or I will end the thread and be done with it.

Debby

You're too quick for me dammit! Oh well, better reinforced I guess. ;P

G.