can cricket eggs move?...

Jaroaker

Arachnopeon
Finally got some crickets to successfully breed. However theres tons of little white/yellow egg-looking things that crawl. I thought they were crickets, but now I'm not so sure. It seems like the cricket eggs arent round? They crawl reaallly slowly, looks like an egg with some legs sticking out. (ie, no visible eyes or antennae). I first found out the crickets bred when I found a ton of eggs and some baby crickets inside a full water dish, so I assumed they were cricket eggs.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
No, cricket eggs can't move, sounds like you got some other critters living in your cage.

Jaroaker

Arachnopeon
No, cricket eggs can't move, sounds like you got some other critters living in your cage.
I looked closer and they look like tiny white beetles. Theres SO MANY. I guess I'll just throw the whole thing out. They vastly outnumber the actual crickets

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I looked closer and they look like tiny white beetles. Theres SO MANY. I guess I'll just throw the whole thing out. They vastly outnumber the actual crickets
Well don't throw them out just yet, you don't know if they are beneficial or not. Got any pictures?

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like you have mites. Cricket eggs are shaped like a very long grain of rice.

Jaroaker

Arachnopeon
Well don't throw them out just yet, you don't know if they are beneficial or not. Got any pictures?
I already threw it out lol, even if they were beneficial they were literally coating the sides of the tub and all the food, and they were eating the vaseline I put to keep the crickets from crawling out. My camera isnt good enough to get a picture, they are like a speck of glitter and you can only tell they move if you look for a while. Some of their bodies were getting bloated like a ticks. I'm still itchy all over lol.
Sounds like you have mites. Cricket eggs are shaped like a very long grain of rice.
OK so its nothing to worry about then since I trashed it correct? Thats kind of cool though, wiki says they are classified with ticks. Seems like my problem was leaving food in the cage, and the dead crickets. Explains how ~200 carcasses disappeared so nicely :p I thought they would be lower maintenance than roaches, but I guess the higher death rate countered that.
Thanks for the info yall, I would've been worried about some infestation for a week otherwise.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
........... I thought they would be lower maintenance than roaches, but I guess the higher death rate countered that.............
Yeah, shorter life cycle means you can get a culture up and running sooner. It also means, more frequent human intervention.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I already threw it out lol, even if they were beneficial they were literally coating the sides of the tub and all the food, and they were eating the vaseline I put to keep the crickets from crawling out. My camera isnt good enough to get a picture, they are like a speck of glitter and you can only tell they move if you look for a while. Some of their bodies were getting bloated like a ticks. I'm still itchy all over lol.
Oh, yeah those are mites. I was imagining something that looked like a cricket egg, long and cylindrical, but yeah, those are just grain mites. Burn them with fire lol!!