Can cherry shrimp live in small aquariums without filters, air pumps, or heaters? Information on keeping cherry shrimp needed.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Hello, folks!

I have been thinking about keeping cherry shrimp for a while now.
I've heard a lot about them, and the recommendations on how to keep them seem to be conflicting.
But I'm pretty sure that they are something that we could handle taking care of.

We have a reasonable number of aquarium tanks to spare that vary in size.
Many of them are those 1 gallon or less aquariums that they sell at places like Walmart.

One of them is a 1-gallon acrylic corner aquarium with LED lighting.
It comes with a filter, but I can't seem to get it to work anymore.

The tank is probably meant for fish like bettas, but I feel like it's more suitable to house invertebrates.
But could cherry shrimp live in an aquarium like this? And how much technology would be required to keep them well?
Would cherry shrimp and Malaysian trumpet snails (which would probably be coexisting with them) need a heater? (They would be placed away from drafts.)

And out of all of these, which would be the least important for the shrimp and snails?
. Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes

I've also heard that live plants can work like filters for shrimp. Would that work in a small tank? And would Java fern and Java moss be good for this?

I'm just curious because there is so much conflicting evidence about caring for cherry shrimp.

(I don't think that I would normally keep cherry shrimp in sealed "ecosphere" aquariums.)
Thanks! God bless!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hello, folks!

I've heard a lot about them, and the recommendations on how to keep them seem to be conflicting.
But I'm pretty sure that they are something that we could handle taking care of.

Many of them are those 1 gallon or less aquariums that they sell at places like Walmart.

The tank is probably meant for fish like bettas, but I feel like it's more suitable to house invertebrates.
But could cherry shrimp live in an aquarium like this? And how much technology would be required to keep them well?
Would cherry shrimp and Malaysian trumpet snails (which would probably be coexisting with them) need a heater? (They would be placed away from drafts.)

And out of all of these, which would be the least important for the shrimp and snails?
. Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes

I've also heard that live plants can work like filters for shrimp. Would that work in a small tank? And would Java fern and Java moss be good for this?

I'm just curious because there is so much conflicting evidence about caring for cherry shrimp.

(I don't think that I would normally keep cherry shrimp in sealed "ecosphere" aquariums.)
Thanks! God bless!

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Huh? Did you write something, Dry Desert?
If you wrote something, it didn't show up.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes
all are a neccessary part of keeping any type of hea;thy tank thriving. heater kinda dependyou cant expect fish that come from the amazon to live and thrive in a sta
Hello, folks!

. Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes

Thanks! God bless!
Best bet would be to join a fish keeping forum . Airpump filter heater water changes are all neccessary things in keeping tanks like just cause a betta can survive in those tiny cups doesnt mean they can thrive and be healthy in those conditions.if you dont wanna worry about filters,heaters air pumps etc. Your better off digging out a deep back yard pond thats below the freezing levels in your state then just stock it with plants and animals that survive the weather in your state.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Huh? Did you write something, Dry Desert?
If you wrote something, it didn't show up.
I was about to reply, but all the information you require is online and in great detail.
So I deleted my first line, as the reply would have gone on forever.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes
all are a neccessary part of keeping any type of hea;thy tank thriving. heater kinda dependyou cant expect fish that come from the amazon to live and thrive in a sta

Best bet would be to join a fish keeping forum . Airpump filter heater water changes are all neccessary things in keeping tanks like just cause a betta can survive in those tiny cups doesnt mean they can thrive and be healthy in those conditions.if you dont wanna worry about filters,heaters air pumps etc. Your better off digging out a deep back yard pond thats below the freezing levels in your state then just stock it with plants and animals that survive the weather in your state.
I would have to disagree with the statement that all are necessary for a thriving aquarium.
My experience has shown that backswimmers and diving beetles are discontented and restless unless the water is still.
And copepods, ostracods, bladder snails, and planarian worms don't require any kind of technology to be happy, either.

Likewise, a few people have been successful keeping shrimp and even fish without water changes.
A method is used known as the "Walstad" method, but it requires a large and stable aquarium, and usually lots of experience.

But for most people, having pumps and filters is the best bet in terms of keeping aquatic creatures alive.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, folks!

. Filter
. Air pump
. Heater
. Water changes

Thanks! God bless!
If you change the water constantly and keep the room the tank is in in the high 70s - low 80s then sure. But it is a lot of extra work.

I have kept Astyanax mexicanus without a filter or heater before in my younger days gone by but I did water changes every 2 - 3 days.

I honestly wouldn't recommend doing it. One mishap or unexpected delay in the care schedule could be a major issue. Granted a trio of cherry shrimp take up less bio mass than larger fish but the idea stands.

This is not my channel but it is interesting what he has to say.

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
@Wayfarin Neocaridina shrimps can be kept without any technology. I have succesfully kept them and bred them that way.
- filter is not needed in well working aquarium, and shrimps have quite low production of waste. air pump also is not needed
- heater is not needed, Neocaridina shrimps came from colder areas than most tropical aquarium animals, they do fine at room temperature, and they can tolerate quite low temperatures during winter (of course they wont breed during that time)
- in well working aquarium minimal to no water changes are required, some people only add water that evaporated (I would personally reccomend changing 1/3 of water once a month though)

The most important thing for good aquarium is abundance of living plants! They provide oxygen and they clean water.
As for Your case, 1 gallon is really small, but can work with few shrimps / snails :)

I know of people having big fish tanks working without any technology apart from light. For fish it is usually not recomended for begginers, as working filterless fish aquarium requires a bit of experience and sense (also fewer fish can be kept in filterless tank compared to similar one with filter). For inverts it is usually without much problems.
First video posted by @darkness975 shows example of very nice filterless tank, other videos show how no animals should ever be kept.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I would have to disagree with the statement that all are necessary for a thriving aquarium.
My experience has shown that backswimmers and diving beetles are discontented and restless unless the water is still.
And copepods, ostracods, bladder snails, and planarian worms don't require any kind of technology to be happy, either.

Likewise, a few people have been successful keeping shrimp and even fish without water changes.
A method is used known as the "Walstad" method, but it requires a large and stable aquarium, and usually lots of experience.

But for most people, having pumps and filters is the best bet in terms of keeping aquatic creatures alive.
if you can pull it off thats great looking forward to pics of your tank once its up and running

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
@Wayfarin Neocaridina shrimps can be kept without any technology. I have succesfully kept them and bred them that way.
- filter is not needed in well working aquarium, and shrimps have quite low production of waste. air pump also is not needed
- heater is not needed, Neocaridina shrimps came from colder areas than most tropical aquarium animals, they do fine at room temperature, and they can tolerate quite low temperatures during winter (of course they wont breed during that time)
- in well working aquarium minimal to no water changes are required, some people only add water that evaporated (I would personally reccomend changing 1/3 of water once a month though)

The most important thing for good aquarium is abundance of living plants! They provide oxygen and they clean water.
As for Your case, 1 gallon is really small, but can work with few shrimps / snails :)

I know of people having big fish tanks working without any technology apart from light. For fish it is usually not recomended for begginers, as working filterless fish aquarium requires a bit of experience and sense (also fewer fish can be kept in filterless tank compared to similar one with filter). For inverts it is usually without much problems.
First video posted by @darkness975 shows example of very nice filterless tank, other videos show how no animals should ever be kept.
That's great to know! It's good to hear from someone who has actually experienced keeping shrimp this way.

Could Melanoides tuberculata be kept in the same conditions?
And would Java fern and Java moss work for the plants?

Also, how many shrimp/snails would you recommend for a 1-gallon aquarium? I've heard that Neocaridina prefer to be kept in large groups, but I've never seen Neocaridina shrimp "schooling" or anything when I watch them at our pet store.

Thanks in advance!

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
if you can pull it off thats great looking forward to pics of your tank once its up and running
What? The shrimp or the other creatures?

Either way, I could probably set up aquariums for both.
I've kept wild diving beetles and backswimmers in captivity, but I don't currently have an aquarium tank specifically for them.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight

Did you keep Melanoides or other snails in your aquarium?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
So, does that mean they will be fine?
Most aquarists try and keep MLBS out of their tank. I don't know what you mean by fine. They will burrow into the gravel by day and if you were to look into the tank at night after the lights have been off for hours you are likely to see hundreds.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Most aquarists try and keep MLBS out of their tank. I don't know what you mean by fine. They will burrow into the gravel by day and if you were to look into the tank at night after the lights have been off for hours you are likely to see hundreds.
I've heard that they only overpopulate poorly-maintained or unbalanced aquariums.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
So, Malaysian trumpet snails will thrive in such a tank setup?

As long as the snails aren't eating the plants or overloading the aquarium's bioload, I love them.
Since the snails (and the shrimp) feed mainly on mulm and other organic wastes, I don't think that their bioload in the aquarium would be very accumulative.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I don't want to type a page long response but it'll work. I have seen random shrimplets in all sorts of odd containers. I've overwintered shrimp accidentally in outdoor containers and cups with nothing but water and algae.

If you can kill shrimp and snails--you have no place in the aquarium hobby. They're about as indestructible as roaches

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I have kept/bred them at room temperature in an unheated, filter less aquarium. I've had hundreds in a 10 gallon.

The important thing here is that while they have a low bioload and don't require much swimming space, they still need good water quality. Make sure you have a cycled tank with lots of plants for the babies to hide in. Java ferns and Java moss work great since they have low light requirements and don't need CO2 equipment.

If you want a self sustaining population though, 1 gallon might be a bit small. It will keep a couple shrimp happy for sure, but I have never started a colony in anything smaller than 5g. Maybe someone with more shrimp birding experience can say otherwise.