Can B. albopilosum get hurt/die if fall 5" from top of terrarium to coconut husk sediment below?

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
We just purchased a juvenile B. albopilosum,and have him in an Exo Terra
Natural Terrarium Small/Wide We have 3 inches of coconut husk substrate (we put it up to the bottom of the door). We have a cork bark hide and a small, plastic condiment cup as a water bowl. The screen at the top is about 5 inches from the substrate and hide. My daughter is concerned that because her tarantula is a terrestrial one, but likes to crawl up the walls and on the screen that if he falls he will be badly injured or die. Any thoughts on this? Should we put more substrate in and not use the door of the terrarium, but only the top screen to get things in and out? Thanks!

Last edited:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Can you post pictures of the enclosure with the tarantula in it? Rule of thumb for a terrestrial generally goes:

The substrate should be filled with space from the top thats a tad more than the legpan of the tarantula. If a terrestrial climbs and falls, longer the fall could result in abdomen damage/death/loss of limbs.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
example, if you have a 5 inch tarantula, the substrate should come up to about 6-7 inches from the top.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Exo tera is a poor choice for a terrestrial cage. Look into kritter keepers and plastic shoeboxes.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The screen is also a problem. Especially with NW terrestrials, t's tarsal claws can get suck and can result in broken limbs or other injuries.

cold blood

Staff member
Exo tera is a poor choice for a terrestrial cage. Look into kritter keepers and plastic shoeboxes.
Agreed, your daughter is spot on...thats an arboreal enclosure, not appropriate for a terrestrial without monifications as viper showed. That front door prevents the adding of enough sub to create a safe home.

On top of that, screen tops are bad news and just an accident waiting to happen...like keeping a horse in your china room, its just a matter of time before it results in catastrophe.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
This is literally all you need. Just drill a few holes around it and you can get em at Walmart for about 3 bucks.

Attachments

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all of your replies. I think we are going to replace the Exo Terra with something else, as several of you suggested. You guys have been fantastic! Thanks!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Here's a photo of the setup with the tarantula. Thanks again for all replies.
You put a padlock on that thing? For a juvie B. albopilosum?
Sorry, am not trying to be mean. Ahem....quit laughing now. I would ditch the exo and get a 6$ kritter keeper, as said above and fill it with substrate as noted above. Get the little beast a nice cork bark hide and a big water dish for her and you'll have a deliriously happy T. ;)

hilltowner

Arachnopeon
You put a padlock on that thing? For a juvie B. albopilosum?
Sorry, am not trying to be mean. Ahem....quit laughing now. I would ditch the exo and get a 6$ kritter keeper, as said above and fill it with substrate as noted above. Get the little beast a nice cork bark hide and a big water dish for her and you'll have a deliriously happy T. ;)

I knew there would be at least one comment about the padlock - lol! That is the only way we could convince her dad to allow her to get it. He is petrified of spiders (and we already lost a snake in the house a few years ago), so this made him feel better. :)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Aaaaaah, yes. The terrified husband. Now I get it! You've got to give him credit--he compromised (probably knew he was outgunned;)). That's cool he did.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Aaaaaah, yes. The terrified husband. Now I get it! You've got to give him credit--he compromised (probably knew he was outgunned;)). That's cool he did.
If i would keep my T's in the living room, i would have locks on the cages as well, considering i have a daughter of five. Even for a B.albopilosum to be honest. Despite them being NW, a bite still could do some serious damage on a childs hand, with fangs being almost a cm long as juvies. Not to mention the urticating hairs.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
If i would keep my T's in the living room, i would have locks on the cages as well, considering i have a daughter of five. Even for a B.albopilosum to be honest. Despite them being NW, a bite still could do some serious damage on a childs hand, with fangs being almost a cm long as juvies. Not to mention the urticating hairs.
That's true.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I love the lock. All I can picture is that little albo in there calling out Attica, Attica, Attica

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
That's great that your husband compromised on getting a tarantula!

You know, I would lock them if they were in my home too. My toddler loves seeing the Ts and would open their enclosures if given the chance. Luckily they live at my office instead of at home so she just visits them! But she loooves them. It's all itsy bitsy spider singing up in there and she wants to hold them (don't worry, she doesn't). Darn it if my kid ends up arachnophobic, you guys!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's great that your husband compromised on getting a tarantula!

You know, I would lock them if they were in my home too. My toddler loves seeing the Ts and would open their enclosures if given the chance. Luckily they live at my office instead of at home so she just visits them! But she loooves them. It's all itsy bitsy spider singing up in there and she wants to hold them (don't worry, she doesn't). Darn it if my kid ends up arachnophobic, you guys!
Incy wincy spider is popular here as well, right along with 'mr. Skinnylegs' , which she picked up from peppa pig :D