can assassin bugs regrow limbs?

exoticsXcastle

Arachnopeon
i recently got some assassin bugs and one of the smaller nymphs has broken leg will it grow back after a molt? or just heal up and seal?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I have not had any assassin bugs with missing legs, so I cannot really give you an answer, but I am certain you will find out once it molts sooner or later.

Keep me updated.

exoticsXcastle

Arachnopeon
I have not had any assassin bugs with missing legs, so I cannot really give you an answer, but I am certain you will find out once it molts sooner or later.

Keep me updated.
will do, really hoping it grows back after a molt.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I believe pretty much all arthropods can regrow missing/damaged limbs if they are not yet mature and still have molts remaining. (There will be no discernible healing or regrowth between molts, because everything happens "behind the scenes" with the new limb regenerating inside the cuticle, so you won't be able to see it until the next molt.) With an arthropod that has finished molting, there will be no further regrowth after the final molt has been reached. Arthropods that continue to molt throughout their lives, such as female tarantulas or many crustaceans, can continue to regrow missing/damaged limbs into adulthood.

The regrown limb will likely be smaller than the other, undamaged limbs - particularly after the first new molt. (If the limb was lost very close to a molt, there won't be any regrown limb at all following the molt, because it will not have had time to regenerate.) If the nymph is very young and has multiple molts remaining, then it will continue to regrow the limb during successive molts, until it may no longer look any different than the other limbs.

Even mature insects/spiders that lose limbs after they have finished molting, and cannot regrow them, usually manage just fine with a limb or two missing.

exoticsXcastle

Arachnopeon
Yes, I believe pretty much all arthropods can regrow missing/damaged limbs if they are not yet mature and still have molts remaining. (There will be no discernible healing or regrowth between molts, because everything happens "behind the scenes" with the new limb regenerating inside the cuticle, so you won't be able to see it until the next molt.) With an arthropod that has finished molting, there will be no further regrowth after the final molt has been reached. Arthropods that continue to molt throughout their lives, such as female tarantulas or many crustaceans, can continue to regrow missing/damaged limbs into adulthood.

The regrown limb will likely be smaller than the other, undamaged limbs - particularly after the first new molt. (If the limb was lost very close to a molt, there won't be any regrown limb at all following the molt, because it will not have had time to regenerate.) If the nymph is very young and has multiple molts remaining, then it will continue to regrow the limb during successive molts, until it may no longer look any different than the other limbs.

Even mature insects/spiders that lose limbs after they have finished molting, and cannot regrow them, usually manage just fine with a limb or two missing.
hopefully it does it looks like it has only molted once or twice its still really small ill have to see next time it molts if it regrows.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I haven’t heard of anything breaking or losing and then regrowing for this species. It might regrow after many molts but it might be like lizards how it never regrows completely

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@chanda is correct. All arthropods can regenerate limbs, antennae, and palps if and only if they are not yet in their adult stage and have several molting events ahead of them.

exoticsXcastle

Arachnopeon

Keep me updated.
so the assassin bug molted and it appears that its wounded leg healed didn't regrow back sadly ill update you again in the next molt or 2

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Keepers of six eyed sand spiders reported that legs didn’t grow back after molting, so it does seem like there are exceptions to the rule. Interested to know if this is the case for assasin bugs. I have a big colony, but never any missing limbs, so I really don’t know.

vounti

Arachnoknight
Keepers of six eyed sand spiders reported that legs didn’t grow back after molting, so it does seem like there are exceptions to the rule. Interested to know if this is the case for assasin bugs. I have a big colony, but never any missing limbs, so I really don’t know.
A friend of mine had a pretty ugly Sicarius thomisoides. 2 totally broken legs and molted just fine with all legs in a correct shape. I don't think they were lost but just really damaged and not usable. It was a tiny spider, not adult yet

basin79

ArachnoGod
A friend of mine had a pretty ugly Sicarius thomisoides. 2 totally broken legs and molted just fine with all legs in a correct shape. I don't think they were lost but just really damaged and not usable. It was a tiny spider, not adult yet
It's a thing when they lose a leg. I've had 2 lose a leg whilst moulting. They've quickly (2 weeks) moulted again after. It seems to me it's that 2nd moult that seals the leg shut although could well be wrong.

vounti

Arachnoknight
It's a thing when they lose a leg. I've had 2 lose a leg whilst moulting. They've quickly (2 weeks) moulted again after. It seems to me it's that 2nd moult that seals the leg shut although could well be wrong.
I am having trouble understanding your message, sorry for my english

Do you mean that if the leg is lost, the wound would be closed within the second molt ? Therefore, a damaged but still attached leg can be healed ?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I am having trouble understanding your message, sorry for my english

Do you mean that if the leg is lost, the wound would be closed within the second molt ? Therefore, a damaged but still attached leg can be healed ?
That's my guess going on my experience with the 2 that have done it with me.