Can arboreals get stuck in a broken funnel web?

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
I have a 1.5"-2" A. geroldi, I fed it last night and the prey managed to destroy the funnel web so badly there isn't really an entrance or an exit. Its all just kinda stuck together into a sack with the spider underneath sucking the super worm that's laying on the web above dry. Ive tried pulling some web apart but that stuff is THICK and I don't want to disturb the T too much, so do you guys think it will get out of there on it's own or am I going to need to create an opening somehow for it?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Just as easily as they spin it, they'll be just as able to break free and make a new entrance.. don't sweat.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've only seen it a couple times, but watching a spider break through its own web is quite impressive. They certainly 'know' how to get through - make a tiny hole, and expand the hole. They're able to get through the thickest web walls with relative ease.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I've had that happen with my A. versicolor. Except I was the one who messed up the web trying to get some uneaten prey out. They will create their own new entrance/exit if they feel the need to.
If you are really worried about it it wont hurt to clear out a little bit of web, but I would just leave it alone. I doubt you could clear web out without disturbing the spider and the spider is more than capable of tending to its own web.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a 1.5"-2" A. geroldi, I fed it last night and the prey managed to destroy the funnel web so badly there isn't really an entrance or an exit. Its all just kinda stuck together into a sack with the spider underneath sucking the super worm that's laying on the web above dry. Ive tried pulling some web apart but that stuff is THICK and I don't want to disturb the T too much, so do you guys think it will get out of there on it's own or am I going to need to create an opening somehow for it?
Normally I would say don't worry, and in your case I say the same thing. However observe your Ts behavior. I have an AF A. minatrix, an incredible eater. Who made a web home the size of a baseball, super dense like a GBB. She remained inside, no food or water for 7 months straight.

I finally didn't want to risk her "knowing" what to do. I took apart and removed her web home last night. I dropped in 2 crickets, and she ate both of them in a few minutes.

She lost a considerable amount of weight. I had initially thought she was going to molt, as she was QUITE fat. Well that didn't happen.

While I don't know why she never came out, I suspect she didn't realize the ends of her giant web tube were completely sealed preventing insects from entering. She would move back and forth when the sun rose and set between 2 different points in the giant web home.

In short, don't ignore, observe and take judicious action when necessary.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Normally I would say don't worry, and in your case I say the same thing. However observe your Ts behavior. I have an AF A. minatrix, an incredible eater. Who made a web home the size of a baseball, super dense like a GBB. She remained inside, no food or water for 7 months straight.

I finally didn't want to risk her "knowing" what to do. I took apart and removed her web home last night. I dropped in 2 crickets, and she ate both of them in a few minutes.

She lost a considerable amount of weight. I had initially thought she was going to molt, as she was QUITE fat. Well that didn't happen.

While I don't know why she never came out, I suspect she didn't realize the ends of her giant web tube were completely sealed preventing insects from entering. She would move back and forth when the sun rose and set between 2 different points in the giant web home.

In short, don't ignore, observe and take judicious action when necessary.
I always observe my Ts but never really want to go poking around and disturbing their environment. I would always expect them to know what to do as they are instinctive animals.

What you have said here surprised me though. I will try to be more aware of the condition of my Ts that disappear for an unusually long time.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for replying, I posted this before I left to work today and I just got back home an hour ago. Fortunately you were all correct, and the T managed to find it's way out by the time I got home tonight. I'm not sure if it was from the small holes I was able to tear in it, or just from the spider's ability to tend it's web. I suspected it would be able to get out just from seeing some of my other spiders create webs and easily bulldoze them overnight, but seeing it trapped inside did worry me. (However it was probably having the time of it's life munching on the superworm stuck outside the web) :smug:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I always observe my Ts but never really want to go poking around and disturbing their environment. I would always expect them to know what to do as they are instinctive animals.

What you have said here surprised me though. I will try to be more aware of the condition of my Ts that disappear for an unusually long time.
I totally understand. This is the only time I have intervened. I knew her behavior, I have her feeding records since she was a tiny sling. I knew something wasn't normal. I too expect them to know more than me at being a T ;)

If she had been half as slender in the abdomen, she'd be dead. I didn't weigh her before/after. But visually judging, I'd say she lost 40-50% in abdominal mass. She seems to be doing fine despite that too. Already made the beginnings of a small web tube/hammock as of yesterday after eating those 2 crickets. Nothing made me happier than seeing her eat them. I put in 2 more today, I hope she eats them so she can put on more mass.

EDIT As of today she ate those 2 additional crickets in the early hrs, and has plumped back up fortunately.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They can rip thru fiberglass and aluminum screen with their fangs. Why would silk pose a problem? Males tear up sperm webs.