Can anyone tell me what this spider is it came with my crickets!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
IMG_20210305_143459_871.jpg he came with crickets from pets at home can any one tell me what spider he is. He jumps slaps the ground when the crickets came near him and is about 3mm. I would like to keep him but am unsure how to house him as I don't know what he is. Can anyone help please.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I'd go with a Dram vial with just a thin bit of substrate.
A drop of water every so often.
Feed it fruit flies or something it can manage.
If you can raise it up, you might get an idea of what it is.
Right now, it's just a cute little bean.🙂

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Cool thank you I shall look into them 😀
Good luck, in my personal observations of both of them in the wild, a grass spider will make a funnel web and a fishing spider will act as a wandering spider or construct a shallow burrow.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I am keeping him I have already removed him from the crickets and I already have fruit flys etc for my lace weaver so it won't be a problem keeping him I just need a small enough enclosure as he is only 3mm big lol.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I have a little dram thingy that the fruit fly came in. I am totally new to the wonderful world of spiders and am not very prepared vivarium wise ☺

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
that does seem to be it, the only reason i said fishing spider or grass spider was the marking on the carapace, here in canada 95% of our grass/fishing spiders have a carapace like that

edit: heres what it's going to look like as an adult

you got yourself an american import lol

Ian14

Arachnobaron
that does seem to be it, the only reason i said fishing spider or grass spider was the marking on the carapace, here in canada 95% of our grass/fishing spiders have a carapace like that
We only have two fishing spider species. One is only found in a very few ditches in the Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Fens. The other isn't quite so restricted but still only found in a few spots.
T. vulgaris is very common here in the UK. Its non native, but well established. They get bigger than the one shown in this thread but are still fairly small.
When I had one I just left it in the cricket tub.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
We only have two fishing spider species. One is only found in a very few ditches in the Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Fens. The other isn't quite so restricted but still only found in a few spots.
T. vulgaris is very common here in the UK. Its non native, but well established. They get bigger than the one shown in this thread but are still fairly small.
When I had one I just left it in the cricket tub.
neat, the dolomodes here in manitoba are so abundant that you might find 20 in one square meter near the water, atleast thats the case around lake manitoba. We also have a fishing spider that is between 5-7 inches that im not sure is described yet, or if its just an oddly large locality of D.tenebrosus.

edit: now that im looking at pictures of D.tenebrosus it doesn't look much like it either

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Thank yous for the replies what ever he is he now has a home next to my house spider n lace weaver lol 😆 I poked holes in a playdough tub for him 20210305_183304.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I also got a bit of a better pic sorry they aren't brilliant but I only have my phone cam n he is small 20210305_151241.jpg

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
😊 thanks i am new to spiders so good to know it'll be OK for him.