Can anyone sex this.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can anyone let me know what sex they think this is (B.boehmei). Its not a very detailed pic but It was all I could get when it was on the side of the tank.
thanks
Chid

Attachments

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For those of you that said female. I'm trying to learn more about sexing without a molt. Do you say female because of the angle of the book lungs or something else?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
For those of you that said female. I'm trying to learn more about sexing without a molt. Do you say female because of the angle of the book lungs or something else?
esmoot,
I'm looking at the angle of the book lungs as you've noticed, and it looks to have a bump at the uterus externus. Also, it looks to have the tale tell hardened lower lip at the epigastric furrow.

See pages 195 and 196 in the Tarantula Keepers Guide..;)

Ernie

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks similar to both of my Brachypelmas and they're both females. Read Rick West's article on sexing on his site. It's very helpful but you need to read through it several times :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's probably female, but since it's a small specimen, I'd like to see the rest of it. Brachypelma are nice in that females develop their tell tale larger chelicerae early on as well, makes sexing the smaller ones a bit easier because you have more than one external sign to go on.

Males, ime, with young Brachypelma tend to have very straight book lungs, so that's the main indicator as, in spite of what was said above, I don't see any sign of any real sclerotization of the epigastric furrow yet on your specimen.