Can anyone identify this non-tarantula spider?

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
In the middle of the summer I found like 4 or 5 of these in a group on the ceiling of my kitchen in my apartment. I tried to squash them....and that just made them mad. It takes at least 3 or 4 hardcore sprays of RAID and even then all they do is roll around for an hour before they die. They are not an easy kill. With the legs out they are about the size of a quater. I went out one evening last month and discovered they were ALL OVER the side of my building at night. There is a giant mag light hanging out there and it draws a lot of insects. I stood out there and counted 93 of them all in various sizes (but the same colorization) before I finally quit counting. (The counting didnt take that long lol) I'm assuming some egg sac must have been born in or around my building. But tonight I found a giant one, about the size of a half dollar with the legs out on my kitchen ceiling and it was an epic battle to kill it.

Now I know there are obviously spider lovers on this board, who don't just love T's but all spiders, but I'm sorry, to me a Tarantula counts almost as a really small animal to me that is part of the arachnid kingdom, and I invited those into my house and keep them in captivity, these things I dunno what they are and look mean as hell. So I don't mean to offend anyone with my slaying of these spiders. And whats worse, I'd hate to find out what might happen if one of them accidentally somehow got into one of my T's tanks and bit it.

I live in Pennsylvania and I think they might be cross orb-weavers? But can anyone confirm this? Are they mean and have bad bites? And what would be my best bet to be rid of these in my apartment? Any help would be appreciated!

Despite being in the death curl, he wasn't dead when I took these photos, he was still rolling around and twitching almost 20 minutes after being hit with Raid.

Last edited:

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like some type of orb weaver to me.

And no, orb weavers do not have dangerous bites. And your t's would eat that spider for lunch. No need to worry on that account. I think I'd worry more about using raid in an apartment where I was keeping t's.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
wrong section too,

Those spiders are harmless by the way. I agree that they are some species of orb weaver as well.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Something from the genus Argiope, I believe. They're totally harmless, just like basically every other US spider that isn't a widow or a brown recluse. It's recommended that you let this type of spider live because of how many bugs they eat. I mean geez, if you have enough flying insect life to support a population of at least 100 on one exterior wall of your house, how many unsavory flying insects are they eating every night? (A lot, that's how many)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I would of loved to take those off your hands. Maybe next time you want to get rid of them post them for free in the classifieds? You might even get a few dollors for a 10 lot of them. :D

asher

Arachnosquire
Looks a bit like Araneus diademata, the European Orb Weaver - I'd say genus Araneus anyhow. They're totally harmless, but good for catching flies.

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
Well I've killed 6. Theirs still NINETY THREE outside. I'll catch em if you want them lol. And my T's are kept in a separate den room far away from my kitchen and I would never put raid anywhere near them. :eek:

But thanks to everyone for your help!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well I've killed 6. Theirs still NINETY THREE outside. I'll catch em if you want them lol. And my T's are kept in a separate den room far away from my kitchen and I would never put raid anywhere near them. :eek:

But thanks to everyone for your help!
That would be great. ill drop you a pm here in a bit. :D

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Something from the genus Argiope, I believe.
This is incorrect, sorry. This specimen doesn't belong to the genus Argiope. That genus is also known as "Garden Orbweavers"; species such as A. argentata (Silver Garden Spider), A. aurantia (Black and Yellow Garden Spider), A. bruennichi, A. florida (Florida Garden Spider), and A. trifasciata (Banded Garden Spider).

As for an ID;
The specimens in the pictures posted below resemble that of the genus Araneus but I don't think it's A. diademata (like someone mentioned below). I think your spider is from the species Araneus saevus. Another curious person, also from Pennsylvania, was a little freaked about them as well.

Here's the picture with the information to compare;
http://bugguide.net/node/view/466694/bgpage

Here's information concerning this species with more photos;
http://bugguide.net/node/view/33682

* Like someone else mentioned, please be careful spraying "RAID" within an enclosed area that's being used to house multiple T's. I would be a little baffled if your T was injured, let alone, killed by a specimen belonging to the Araneidae (Orb Weaver) family. :p

Are they mean and have bad bites? And what would be my best bet to be rid of these in my apartment?
Orb weavers are very docile and non-aggressive, these little spidiies will take off 'running' in the opposite direction before ever biting you or an animal. Being bitten by one of these cutiies is VERY uncommon for both people and animals. Here is all the information you need to know and it will answer your questions concerning your "spider problem".

Quote from BugGuide.net; "They are not dangerous to people & pets, and are actually quite beneficial because they will catch and eat a lot of pest-type insects."

Information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/1972

* By the way.. of the more than 3,700 species of spiders in the United States, only about a dozen are considered medically important. Those species fall into two groups, the brown spiders (Loxosceles) and the widow spiders (Latrodectus). The bite is most often compared to a common bee sting and is not serious to most people whom have encountered a bite. Soo, your all good, I would just collect them (CAREFULLY, please! :p) and ship them on over to AgentD006las.. problem solved and everyone is happy! :D

-To keep spiders out of your apartment; cracks and crevices should be sealed with caulk, expandable foam, weather stripping, screen or other materials to prevent the spiders from entering and gaining access to structural voids. Seal around fireplaces, vents, doors, and window frames, crawlspace/attic doors, and also where cabinets, counters and baseboards meet walls, to permanently prevent spiders and other pests from harboring there. Good Luck! ;)

P.S. If you think these little gals look "mean as hell", just hope you don't stumble across a Golden Silk Orbweaver. This species can measure up 4inches (including leg span) with webs stretching up to 30ft. or more. Of course, just like most True Spiders, the Golden Silk Orbweaver is harmless unless strongly provoked. :)

* Check these huge beauties out, if ya want: http://bugguide.net/node/view/2023

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is incorrect, sorry. This specimen doesn't belong to the genus Argiope...
You're right, of course. That was a brain fart on my part. "A" genera and all...

We have several different species of Araneus around these parts. I like to let them be and see which one gets to Godzilla proportions by this time of year. Argiopes are few and far between but they are around.