Can anyone ID this spider please?

Script404

Arachnopeon
Hi just trying to find out what this spider is, it was in my bathroom in Thailand, was about 5-6 inches across from memory, didn't seem aggressive and didn't seem bothered by us living there either.

Attachments

AntoineGJ

Arachnopeon
Heteropoda venatoria maybe ?
edit : abdomen seems really big for a Heteropoda venatoria

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Very preggo Venatoria

Compare abdomen after making egg sack. Also note her unusual 'face'.

Last edited:

Duriana

Arachnoknight
Ha wish I saw things like these in my bathroom :rofl: All I find is.. well nothing actually :shifty:

The Snark

Old Timer
With all the open drains, ditches, gutters and canals in Asia, Venatoria's favorite haunts, it lives up to the term Dr. Jaeger gave it: The sewer rat of spiders.

Script404

Arachnopeon
Cheers for the answer fellas should have tried arachnoboards first.

Ha wish I saw things like these in my bathroom :rofl: All I find is.. well nothing actually :shifty:
It's a mixed bag though. :) The spiders were OK, the Tokay Geckos that used to live there were fine and nothing like that was ousted from its home, I was somewhat less sanguine about having a giant centipede casually wander over my barefoot one evening. :D
But generally if you like wildlife it's great esp coming from England. You can see loads just sitting on your balcony and looking in the surrounding areas.

A friend used to get the occasional King Cobra in his bathroom though, and big water monitors can occasionally wander onto your balcony if you are somewhere countryside/ near jungle, although a broom usually sorts that out apparently.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Addendum. The dangers of Thailand. (With a hearty 'thanks for nothing' extended to the ministry of truth... (Apologies to Orwell) ministry of tourism).
In order of incidents occurring, Traffic accidents, communicable diseases from fellow tourists, recycled sewage being passed off as water in the taps/faucets, assaults from fellow tourists, local communicable diseases, mosquito born diseases, smog being passed off as breathable air, other insect attacks, bites-assaults from local fauna (monkeys, prostitutes, alcohoilcs & general street crazies) and so on. And way ways down at the bottom of the list, snake bites.

And what makes the newspaper headlines? Cobra and monitor visitors at the guest houses. Our cute (not so)little Venatoria bathroom invaders never manage to make any of the lists.

Last edited:

Script404

Arachnopeon
I'd agree with your assessment, the roads definitely are dodgy to ride on, and medical help or first aid is not always up to scratch either.
To be fair most tourist probably would not have the cobra problems either I have found most of the more tourist areas in places like on the islands don't tend to have those issues, a combination of them being cleared out by the Thais, avoiding to many humans, and the amount of dogs and cats acting as pest patrol I would guess.
Dengue fever is no fun, I have been lucky but know a few who have had it, unpleasant.
Monkeys, yeah they are unpredictable, have been ignored by them and then have had them run right past me and be aggressive to the point of attack with other people, I don't think a lot of people realise the size of teeth on a small crab eating macaque and see them as a bit harmless. But that's an animal I'd treat with a cautious respect.
The encounters with the wildlife have been mentioned in chats with other people living there who live a bit out of those areas and nearer Jungle that is a bit less tamed, and also find these sort of things interesting. Likewise the spider and Tokay I found was in a house off from the normal tourist area in the hills a bit. I would think most tourists don't really have those encounters because they don't go looking for them, could be wrong though.