Can anyone id these two scorpions

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought two new scorpions. The seller said they were "rainforest scorpions" and that they were "very poisonous" but didn't know exactly what they were. I think they both belong to the Tityus genus, but I'm not sure about the species. Any thoughts?

Attachments

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The 1st one looks like Centruroides gracilis but need a clearer pic to confirm that, second one i have no idea :(

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
first one is def a Centruroides Gracilis...female.
can't tell from the picture of the second one.

Gracilis is potent enough, I would watch your fingers. Central and South american Gracilis are said to be more toxic than Florida locals. Don't really know if its actually true. Beautiful animals though, I really miss mine.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree with the first one being a Centruroides species, most likely gracilis. I'd really like a clearer pic of the second one though, is that possible?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The first one looks like C.gracilis and the second one like L.scutilus, like Koh said. I mean to say the second one also reminds me of L.scutilus, but it could be another Buthid genus.
No Tityus sp....that I can tell you.

Ralph_moore84

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just going to throw this out there.I believe the first to be C.Gracillis.Seeing that the first is in the Florida region.I think the second pic could be Centruroides guanensis.This is just my opinion.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just looked at pictures of lychas scutilus, and that's not the one I got looks like. The one I got has a dark black triangle similar to a tityus stigmurus. The pics of scutilus show a dark back with two lines of stripes. The one I have has one line of cream colored stripes down the center. The scutilus has a dark brown telson. The one i have has a reddish telson and reddish pinchers. Is it possibly a centruroides species? In fact, it looks a bit like pics of centruroides vittatus from the scorpion fauna website.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It would help a lot if you would know from which locations these scorpions are from. The second one also looks like Uroplectes vittatus, but Uroplectes can be ruled out easy by there small size. Can you give some more info?

Locality, age, size and a sharp picture would help a lot ;)

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know the locality or the age. The size is about 3.5 cm from the front of the prosoma (not sure if this is the right word) to the telson. I am working on getting a better photo.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm about 98% sure that's not a C. vittatus. I've had a lot of them, including three different regional color forms, and that one doesn't match up. The closest, and one of my first thoughts, was a freshly molted xeric C. v., but after looking at my old pics, I'm pretty sure they aren't a match.

It does look familiar to me in a way though. I'm wondering if I ran across a picture on a website. :? Too bad I don't have a photographic memory!

I do think Centruroides genus is a possibility though, maybe better pics when you can?

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the first one is a C. gracilis the sccond one can be quite a few things
so being that its a tiny one you will have to wait untill it grows up a bit
because theres a few species that look very very similar until they hit 3rd or 4th instar (im not listing them) so just dont get stung and grow it up
then you will know

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It would help a lot if you would know from which locations these scorpions are from. The second one also looks like Uroplectes vittatus, but Uroplectes can be ruled out easy by there small size. Can you give some more info?

Locality, age, size and a sharp picture would help a lot ;)
I second michiel on this one, uroplectes vittatus, but i have no idea what's their size as adult

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well that's what it looks like. What is the care for this species. I thought it was a tityus or centruroides when i bought it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well that's what it looks like. What is the care for this species. I thought it was a tityus or centruroides when i bought it.

Untill you know what they axactly are, put them in a container with one moist half and one dry half, so they can choose what they prefer themselves. Always safe, untill you can specify things after you know the species names.

cheers, Michiel