Can anyone here I.d this one?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This pic has shown up here before and I think most people think it to be Scolopendra viridicornis.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This pic has shown up here before and I think most people think it to be Scolopendra viridicornis.
are they really that freaking huge?..I understood that gigantea was largest..i cant imagine a larger specimen..lol.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man, I keep automatically getting logged out on the AB about every 30 seconds, don't know why(?) Yeah, it's pretty freaky looking. I can't remember exactly but I feel like it was a distributor in Florida that got this in a shipment, don't know the details. But I think it's real. It's be cool to house and take a look at that every day. Wonder what's happened to it, a pretty old pic.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man, I keep automatically getting logged out on the AB about every 30 seconds, don't know why(?) Yeah, it's pretty freaky looking. I can't remember exactly but I feel like it was a distributor in Florida that got this in a shipment, don't know the details. But I think it's real. It's be cool to house and take a look at that every day. Wonder what's happened to it, a pretty old pic.
good question..i found this pic of a gigantea and think that it looks close to it..but admittedly am not a Cent expert.

i wonder if anyone can rate them according to size?

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think S. viridicornis, S. gigantea and S. galapagoensis (still ligit?) look a lot alike until you take a close look at them. I'm no expert either, just remembering some things I've come across. All can get really big, ..10"+

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think S. viridicornis, S. gigantea and S. galapagoensis (still ligit?) look a lot alike until you take a close look at them. I'm no expert either, just remembering some things I've come across.
fair enough..i do appreciate the response.

I do exhibits occasionally and wanted the largest cent i could get..
wonder where i could locate one?
I try to find the biggest and most bizarre to really get the crowds excited.

Last edited:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That S. viridicornis pic is from Mark M. Lucas. (www.markmlucas.com)

I agree that is one impressive centipede. I believe someone on here said he saw it in person and it was acting very lethargic.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I agree that is one impressive centipede. I believe someone on here said he saw it in person and it was acting very lethargic.
cool!..and thnks.
I agree, very impressive...i am thinking it did look overfed..but also that it could partially be a camera angle or something..but it appears immense.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Both pictures shown above are more likely black gigantea's then viridicornis,
seems to be much misunderstanding about the size of viridicornis, they aren't that big, 17-22cm max.
In the past i've also seen many Sc.galapagoensis beeing ID'ed as viridicornis,
gigantea is as far as i know still the largest scolo., but galapagoensis can come very close.

here's another picture of most likely black gigantea :)
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/183/tausendfuessler9pp7.jpg

NickSwift18

Arachnopeon
Yup

Thats a Centipede lol. You do know a lonnngg time ago they used to be 8 or more feet long and weighing over 160 pounds. also there was a scorpion 3feet long and prolly weighed 30. Also theres always freaks of nature i one time found a earth worm in Michigan 2 and half feet long. I had put it in a bucket in my garage because i was gonna show it to friends when they where gonna come over in the morning and it crawled out because of how long it was

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ohhh. OK. That explains its size. S. viridicornis don't get *that* big then. I've had S. heros bigger than that. Good, I was afraid they'd be monsters if I get some.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bet if you go to the first rocky lake or hilly drainage area west of Garland you can get to and start looking under some rocks, you will eventually find a nice Scolopendra heros castaneiceps centipede. Palo Duro Canyon is a good bet. But most rocky areas in Texas would be good to hunt. It sounds to me that you'd be surprised to see the big centipedes that exist here in Texas. I had one that when walking around was 9.5 inches found in Austin. When it was at rest, it measured a solid 10 inches. But most adults are 6 to 7 inches long but even then, they are pretty cool looking and good for exhibits. Here's a picture of it. It wasn't found by me but I was lucky enough to have it for a while before I let it get out. Hard to find one this big but it's possible ...in Texas! It's eating a large Sphinx moth in the pic.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer

yup, that was a friend of mine holding that baby,he used to bring it in the reptile store i used to work at,everybody would flip,and say"are you nuts?! " he would say "naaa it's tame as a kitten"{D when the wholesaler were getting them in at that time 1995 i had them aswell they were 50.00 and very hardy indeed mine were huge also,sold them back then,thought they would availible all the time,but i was wrong:( and till this day we proberly won't see them availible,i should of never sold mine,and at that time the giganteas(perus)whitelegged,robusta?sp.were all over the place,i'm glad i still have my 1 female gigantea whiteleg(peru) but i want more of the black sp:wall:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah it was pretty cool. I miss not taking a look at it everyday. ....I think I have something in my eye .....I gotta go! haha.